Spam virus etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been up for discussion before but here we go again (maybe) .

Can you IT bods recommend some freebee safety software.

Until now I've only used the web via the company system.

Today a BT broadband thingy arrives at home.
They tried to bundle some stuff with it but I was told is was expensive & that free better stuff exists.

So........... what do I need to make my home PC as safe as possible without spending? or spending little.

Bear in mind I'm an IT cretin

lurker":3llkctcx said:
I'm sure this has been up for discussion before but here we go again (maybe) .

Can you IT bods recommend some freebee safety software.

Until now I've only used the web via the company system.

Today a BT broadband thingy arrives at home.
They tried to bundle some stuff with it but I was told is was expensive & that free better stuff exists.

So........... what do I need to make my home PC as safe as possible without spending? or spending little.

Bear in mind I'm an IT cretin

Just about to do the same with my Mum's old laptop (and don't want to spend any money, I've found http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ is pretty good

Dave

BTW I used to be with BT Broadband - I thought their antivirus was free?

I think they use McAfee, and whilst it's a cut-down version of the retail offering it was still more than enough to handle all the essential security requirements.

If you're using HomeHub, then because that's a NAT router, you should be OK from hacking intrusions. If it's their modem, I don't know if that's got any NAT capability. To find out, visit http://grc.com Click on "Shields Up" then scroll down to just over half-way and click "Shields Up" again. Now click on "Proceed" then "All Service Ports." What you're looking for as a result is a "Pass" - which means that your "broadband thingy" is protecting you against hackers. If you don't get a pass, install some Firewall software if you haven't got any. Again, there are several free ones, probablt the best is Outpost Free Version, followed by ZoneAlarm.

You'll probably want to install an Anti-Virus programme, of which there are many free ones. I've used AVG since it came out, without problems. The latest free download for that is on the left-hand side of the page below:

http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

Ray.

Thanks for advice so far

The package says "basic" or something which can be upgraded (for about £5 per month) to "better".

Yes its home hub.

Was due to arrive Tuesday morning - they phoned twice & e-mailed 3 times to tell me when it was going to arrive.

Guess what - still no sign!!
Neighbour stayed in Tuesday Morning to recieve.
SWMBO stayed in all day yesterday - nothing, zilch!!
The automaton at BT was totally uninterested

Why don't they put in a little more effort post sales as they do to adverts
:twisted:

Maybe O.T. but I use AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot search and destroy, also use CCleaner, all free and work for me
pip

Back