Spalted Horse Chestnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice. Took exactly one year to get from pure white to this. In contact with the ground but bark side not end grain.

Attachments

• spalted conker 1.jpg
    spalted conker 1.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 1,084
Woodturner1972":2wg3mve1 said:
That looks good, will make a cracking bowl

I disagree . . . It looks awful, infact you should send it to me for disposal !!!! :wink:

I have a load of this sort of stuff which I got for firewood. Turned one piece roughly and very impressed by the finish and grain figuring . Soft bits are a bit picky but easy to turn .

Another unusual characteristic I've found with horse chestnut is that when turned really wet it hardly warps during drying. I've turned green bowls from HC that look almost like they were turned from fully seasoned wood. I confess I don't understand it at all because the wood changes weight enormously as it dries just like everything else, but just seems to retain its shape pretty well.

Random Orbital Bob":3j42e5t5 said:
Another unusual characteristic I've found with horse chestnut is that when turned really wet it hardly warps during drying. I've turned green bowls from HC that look almost like they were turned from fully seasoned wood. I confess I don't understand it at all because the wood changes weight enormously as it dries just like everything else, but just seems to retain its shape pretty well.

I found the same thing with Bay. Dries to a beautiful golden honey colour and p[polishes incredibly well and cuts like cheese. perfect wood for turning.

Latest posts

Back