Spalted beech - what to make?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent_zed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been cutting firewood and have some 10inch logs that have a nice strong spalting going on. The wood still seems strong so wondering about turning them into something.

Any suggestions what to make? examples etc.

Not normally a fan of spalting but this seemed really defined when i cut some of the smaller bits in half.

20240501_125800.jpg

Hadn't really considered the idea of cutting into flat boards. I guess i could give it a go.

I've never turned a bowl so I might need to practice before I try it on this. I've been doing a fair bit of spindle turning. Somewhat annoyingly I just finished making some candlesticks a few weeks back for my mantlepiece so prob don't need anymore for now. N.b they don't match on purpose ;)

4e30f0c5-96cc-4847-b075-25198ea77457.jpg

Sadly I've cut it into about 10inch long pieces so I can't do really long planks, although I may still have another couple of logs at my brothers place that I haven't chopped up yet. If I still have some longer pieces maybe I'll try cutting some bits for an electric guitar body, I've seen a few examples that look quite interesting.

I'm finding having a big pile of firewood to be hard as I keep looking at bits and thinking I can't burn that bit, and the non-burn pile gets bigger.

When I acquired a similar size spalted birch - I converted it into a couple of tissue boxes.

Spalted beech vase, (in the style of Lucy Rie perhaps) 16mm plastic test tube lined so you can use it as a specimen vase as well as for dry stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_170953.jpg
    IMG_20230710_170953.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Hadn't really considered the idea of cutting into flat boards. I guess i could give it a go.

I've never turned a bowl so I might need to practice before I try it on this. I've been doing a fair bit of spindle turning. Somewhat annoyingly I just finished making some candlesticks a few weeks back for my mantlepiece so prob don't need anymore for now. N.b they don't match on purpose ;)

View attachment 180574

Sadly I've cut it into about 10inch long pieces so I can't do really long planks, although I may still have another couple of logs at my brothers place that I haven't chopped up yet. If I still have some longer pieces maybe I'll try cutting some bits for an electric guitar body, I've seen a few examples that look quite interesting.

I'm finding having a big pile of firewood to be hard as I keep looking at bits and thinking I can't burn that bit, and the non-burn pile gets bigger.
Bowls aren't too complicated, last spalted beech I did was very soft in places, it helps to have a good supply of CA, I roughed the outside shape then saturated it all over with CA and left it overnight and passed over it with a few finishing cuts, turned it round into the chuck and did the same again, super sharp tool edge is key with spalted beech.
20230719_202226.jpg20230719_202257.jpg20230719_202303.jpg20230719_202313.jpg

I also have a medium sized piece I have planked. Been wondering what to make for 3 years :ROFLMAO: . It's quite soft and lightweight. Probably sapwood as it came with the outside curve of the tree. Easy to dent with a fingernail.
This pic is a before. I've been able to get 4 planks out of it, 2 of which book match beautifully. One day I'll think of something. Not enough for a piece of furniture, maybe the top of a side table etc

Attachments

• PXL_20210309_140021545.jpg
    PXL_20210309_140021545.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
I had a thought last night whilst making dinner. I noticed the old shabby DAB radio which I intended to re-house. Might be the perfect thing to try. Hopefully much nicer than the peeling mdf housing it's currently in.

I had a thought last night whilst making dinner. I noticed the old shabby DAB radio which I intended to re-house. Might be the perfect thing to try. Hopefully much nicer than the peeling mdf housing it's currently in.
"Old shabby DAB radio" - looks like I'll have to update my perception of 'steam' radio from valve sets to DAB !

"Old shabby DAB radio" - looks like I'll have to update my perception of 'steam' radio from valve sets to DAB !
Its scary how time flies. I got it as a leaving gift from a job in about 2006 I think so about 18years old!

Whilst it is technically a lot newer than my DAB radio, I built an 'old' Valve (tube) guitar amplifier a couple of years back. A copy of a Fender Tweed Deluxe 5e3 from the 50's. Made pretty much everything from the circuit board to the chassis. Good project and sounds amazing.

Back