Spalted Ash bowl.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
I managed to save this piece from three large logs i had which i didn't know i had,one Ash and two Elm.
I cut them all up last week but they have spalted and split too much to do anything with most of them but looks like i may get three or four bowls from the seven blanks i cut up.??
This was the second one i tried the first was far too punky but even this piece took some getting a decent finish on.

Spalted Ash 10"x4" finished with SS for now.
spalted ash bowl-ukw.jpg

Attachments

• spalted ash bowl-ukw.jpg
    spalted ash bowl-ukw.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 963
Good salvage job there Paul, nice to see distinctive sharp colour contrasts rather than the muddy blend so often seen.

Nice job Paul.

Agree with Chas too, did you do anything in particular to keep that in the finishing or is it just down to the wood being what it is ?

Cheers, Paul

Ash can look really good spalted, this is a great example. Nice work Paul.

Thanks for the comments folks :D
Paul-No nothing special that i had doen to it.The logs were just kept outside but seperated for some reason which is why i didn't know they were where they were.Just mother nature doing it's best :D
This was the first piece of spalted wood i have had with a distinct red and green colour showing.

Latest posts

Back