South coast new boy...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraggleexport

Reaction score
Hello All, another 'prospect' here....Have been lurking for a few months now and am enjoying the site immensely..The questions are building up so I thought Id join!

Apart from making all the classic mistakes as I go along Ive now got a fair bit of green wood stacking up coated and drying provided by friends. The thing that bugs me the most is sometimes not knowing what the actual wood is. Im happy to recognise the Beeches Birches Cherries, but I'm struggling to recognise anymore. Question 1! Is there a definitive field guide around that has a good id on trees in the UK?
More questions to come but one a night to start with. Much like my mistakes :D

Kevin

Aahhh excellent Chas...twas right in front of me....thanks a lot....I'll post some pictures of my meagre wares as I go along :D Ive an engineering background so very thicked skinned to a critique or two!

It's a funny thing the identification of wood/trees. I can identify lots of woods, tropical and temperate, just by looking at them however, I find identifying trees quite difficult. My mate on the other hand is a game keeper and he is the complete opposite! I have a wee Collins book a carry when I'm out roving which helps identify the trees from bark, shape, leaves etc. it is interesting stuff.

It shouldnt bug me as much as it does...but if theres a piece of log Ive been given Ive just gotta find out its name :D

Anyway extractor fitted tonight...another expense off the ticklist....might even do a bit of turning at the weekend!

Kevin

Latest posts

Back