Sort out your workshop the Japanese way

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":tffdkmir said:
thick_mike":tffdkmir said:
..... Jap is considered a very derogatory word in America, whereas it is much milder over here. .....
WW2. The yanks were much more involved in fighting the japs than the brits were and there was massive anti Japanese feeling - I remember American comics which featured horrific tales of the war in the Pacific.
But here at least it's gone the other way completely; we are full of admiration for all things Japanese. Sometimes quite blindly; we even struggle with chop sticks, water-stones and pull saws!

Sorry but thats pretty stupid remark Jacob
You should be old enough to have come across ex British POWs and learned of their horrific experiences without reference to hollywood.

lurker":h1t83sqs said:
Jacob":h1t83sqs said:
thick_mike":h1t83sqs said:
..... Jap is considered a very derogatory word in America, whereas it is much milder over here. .....
WW2. The yanks were much more involved in fighting the japs than the brits were and there was massive anti Japanese feeling - I remember American comics which featured horrific tales of the war in the Pacific.
But here at least it's gone the other way completely; we are full of admiration for all things Japanese. Sometimes quite blindly; we even struggle with chop sticks, water-stones and pull saws!

Sorry but thats pretty stupid remark Jacob
You should be old enough to have come across ex British POWs and learned of their horrific experiences without reference to hollywood.
Yes I know about Singapore, Burma, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc - we all do. But the Americans were even more deeply involved in the war with Japan. Just a fact, no credit/discredit to anybody. Don't know what the figures were in terms of mortality, so I could be wrong!

mikefab":1sj7d7oc said:
memzey":1sj7d7oc said:
I find it hard to believe that Jacob is a racist. .

Agreed. I certainly did not wish to imply that, merely to point out that his use of language may be considered offensive by some.

I cant see how it was offensive

I have Indian & Pakistani mates
The Pakistanis are not offended by the shortened term, at least not when its used in the proper context

However you would be hard pressed to insult an Indian more, than by calling him the shortened P word.
Unless you know a bit of the history of the two nations you cannot comprehend as to why, when you do its pretty obvious.

My sister worked in Pakistan for a while in the 80s and was surprised that people used the word Paki as we would use Brit, the Paki army or Paki cricket team. Over here however I see it as completely unacceptable and would always call people out for it. I must say I do not feel the same about Jap, but then there isn't a large Japanese community here that face discrimination and racism in the same way as Pakistanis. However if people are likely to be offended I shall try to change my lexicon after all I don't really like Brits calling Irish people Paddys or Micks, even though Paddy is a fine name.

As for 5s organisation, if only, but I failed after the first one, how do you know something is unnecessary, as soon as you dispose of it your gonna want it. My dock and workshop is just full of stuff that is far to good to chuck, I mean I never would have accumulated all that stuff if I didn't think it might be useful one day. I couldn't really read the rest as it just made me feel panicky
Paddy

Latest posts

Back