Something different

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
ie. not a bowl or spindle.

I've been making jewellery for Christmas presents and putting it in 'square' presentation boxes mostly of Ash and African Blackwood but it occurred to me last week that a Pendant and Ear-ring set would look nice in a turned 'box'. This has now progressed to a prototype - for which I have yet to make the jewellery!

CHJ's prompt that I might be doing some segmented work, with the Ash 'firewood' I recently bought, became conjoined and has resulted in the Ash and Walnut 'box' in the attached images.

Base - 116mm dia, 23mm high,
Main Body - widest 100mm dia, top 84mm dia, overall height 98mm (plus the 6mm 'breech lock')

Attachments

• Ash-Walnut-Pendant-3.png
    Ash-Walnut-Pendant-3.png
    250.4 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Ash-Walnut-Pendant-2.png
    Ash-Walnut-Pendant-2.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Ash-Walnut-Pendant.png
    Ash-Walnut-Pendant.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 1,527
Dalboy":2bzfsdiu said:
That looks great. Very well thought out and designed segmenting looks nice and tight as well. How did you do the twist lock
Thanks Dalboy. The quick answer is 'Carefully' :D

The real answer is with a Dremel fixed to the tool-post and a 1mm Carbide burr running at 25k while I turned the chuck by hand. The undercutting in the base was with a specially ground HSS bit.

There is a stainless steel pin to limit the movement and the mating part of the breech was trimmed so that the grain lined up.

Very nice and well thought out, I have to keep copying because I don't have the imagination to come up with the items I see you people turning out

J-G":33orfvuu said:
Dalboy":33orfvuu said:
That looks great. Very well thought out and designed segmenting looks nice and tight as well. How did you do the twist lock
Thanks Dalboy. The quick answer is 'Carefully' :D

The real answer is with a Dremel fixed to the tool-post and a 1mm Carbide burr running at 25k while I turned the chuck by hand. The undercutting in the base was with a specially ground HSS bit.

There is a stainless steel pin to limit the movement and the mating part of the breech was trimmed so that the grain lined up.

Thank you for that info :)

When showing my daughter the jewellery I'd made for my grand-daughter - in the hope of getting an idea of a gift for her - the response was 'I don't wear jewellery' :(

So I had to mine the grey matter and came up with a clock design based on a pentagon with segments in Ash and Laburnum. The problems caused by moving the circle away from the centre of the pentagon were legion but I eventually beat it into submission.

The hours are marked with Maple inlay - 175mm high, 180mm wide.

Attachments

• Penta Clock-rear.png
    Penta Clock-rear.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • Penta Clock-front.png
    Penta Clock-front.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,235
I commend the care and attention to detail in both projects, the clock proportions and design features are particularly attractive.

It seems everything I make is 'different' :lol:

One of the choirs I sing with have a Christmas Concert on the 13th and as we sing to raise money for charity and have a raffle to increase the spend and therefore the eventual give-away amount someone suggested a 'Luxury Christmas Hamper' to which we could each contribute something.

I think this cruet set might fill the bill.

Mostly Ash with some Padauk, French Oak and Ebony, 100mm tall, 50mm dia.

This is the first time I've used Padauk. I bought it a while back for it's colour and to make up an order but was marginally disappointed at what appeared to be quite an open grain. I selected it for this project specifically for the colour and was very pleased with the way it takes a polish - two coats of SS and finished with MC wax.

Attachments

• Christmas Cruet - 2.png
    Christmas Cruet - 2.png
    215.1 KB · Views: 1,094
  • Christmas Cruet - 1.png
    Christmas Cruet - 1.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 1,094
Further practice on new techniques this is a 'cheat' hollow form, in-as-much-as it is built up from separate pieces which are bored out conventionally. It also uses segmented construction and inlay work.

The main body is from two 2" thick pieces of Sycamore, the centre decoration is 8 segments of Pink Ivory with Ebony inlay and the top and bottom are African Leadwood (not segmented).

175mm high, 88mm Ø at the widest point, 60mm Ø at the foot, 49mm Ø at the top & 30mm Ø bore. Finished with MC Wax.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the Sycamore - I should have 'read' it more carefully and removed more of the slightly discoloured surface but my original design spec was 90-95 mm Ø and by the time I'd got it square and glued up it was already undersize :(

Attachments

• Gourd Vase.png
    Gourd Vase.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 937
Dalboy":2gac9lt8 said:
Great pair of shakers hope they make plenty for your choir
Thanks for the good wishes Dalboy - the concert was last night and the provisional figures show something between £300 & £400 raised in raffle money - though to be honest there were 10 prizes and my cruet was only part of one of them. The winners sought me out to say it would take pride of place on their Christmas table.

Back