Some of my 2015 Challenges and Churnings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to put these up on Friday, not a turning subject but another way of using up the offcut wood rather than delving into the prime stock.

Walnut, Oak, Beech.
DSCN5056.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5056.JPG
    DSCN5056.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 909
beganasatree":1742oqve said:
Hi Chas,
Looks like you found some holders??

Peter
Family brought me some from Germany where they were still available, search is still on-going to find an alternate source of similar small cups.

Amazon source at £8 to £15 or so a throw is not very attractive, maybe it's just my resistance to that tone of marketing.

Another of those "can you just do me half a dozen? " little jobs.

Walnut light pulls.
DSCN5057.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5057.JPG
    DSCN5057.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 842
Sometimes the odd hour doing a little repetitive/batch job is just enough to break up the day, makes a change from dressing Pheasants, Ducks Pigeons etc. for the freezer which seems to be my all to regular day job this time of year.

One of the mixed benefits of living in a farming community that barters favours done, forget the agro. involved when they arrive on the plate though, just wish they did not arrive 8-12 at a time.

Getting to that end of year clean up of the long term 'Hangers about' bits of part assembled stuff, must make a determined effort to reduce the remnant's of the various enthusiastic batch production stints that are awaiting 'A round Tuit' and are cluttering up the various niches.

Walnut and Oak, 157mm diam.
DSCN5058.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5058.JPG
    DSCN5058.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,004
Another nice segmented box from your stable Chas.

I know what you mean about all the little started projects hanging around the workshop as i have a few.

It's when the boss opens up a cupboard to reach for something else and sees bits like this you start hearing background mutterings.
DSCN5060.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5060.JPG
    DSCN5060.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 981
Started on the reduction of the above stash, decided to laminate all tops from now on to increase the yield from the time consuming segmenting.

Oak and Walnut. 117mm dia.
DSCN5061.JPG
DSCN5062.JPG
DSCN5063.JPG
DSCN5064.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5061.JPG
    DSCN5061.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCN5062.JPG
    DSCN5062.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCN5063.JPG
    DSCN5063.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCN5064.JPG
    DSCN5064.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 928
Lovely stuff chas. Trying to get my head round how those curved segments in the lid are glued up, computer says no!

About 20 more to go, some might be a while if I have to build the bodies with segments.

Oak, Walnut & Elm, 120mm dia.
DSCN5065.JPG
DSCN5066.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5065.JPG
    DSCN5065.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 854
  • DSCN5066.JPG
    DSCN5066.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 854
No plans as yet Derek one way or the other, at the moment it's a case of what bit of suitable wood comes up first whilst trying to move stuff around the store.

Am beginning to lean towards 'less is more' and just keep the segment detail as a highlight to lid or body but that's again dependant on locating a complimentary bit of wood and not having too many species in the mix.

Some of the roughly sliced and laminated lid blanks from the 'stash', doing them as an afterthought from thicker blanks presents some alignment problems due to sawn faces when remounting but I'm warming to the laminated lids as a norm.
DSCN5068.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5068.JPG
    DSCN5068.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 819
Dalboy":23udrqoh said:
Does the laminated lids give better stability over the straight segmented lids
In theory it should do, although I have never had any warping of segmented lids, I've had a couple where they have been exposed to differing atmospheric moisture conditions that have developed radial splits in the wood. On the other hand two dissimilar woods may encourage bending, quite good humidity indicators can be made by gluing two thin strips of dissimilar woods together in a slim beam.

Perhaps the extra rigidity/strength of the adhesive in the laminate will help prevent splitting if placed in sunlight or near a radiator, although with the two failures I'm aware of it was increased moisture (damp room) that triggered the splitting.

Always a problem in closed segment work, cater for 12-15% home environment and someone will put it on a radiator shelf, window sill or sunlit cupboard, dry it to below 8% and it will be left on a shelf alongside a heated clothes airer.

Back