SOF kayak in the works

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i've paddled her before, with a few stares from fellow kayakers, but now she's up for sale (so i can build me another one).

You mention breaking a kayak. Well you must definitely learn to kayak more safely then :lol:

Sof kayaks are much stronger than perceived. I would rather be in an sof than a fibreglass kayak for instance. The strenght of an sof comes from all the parts giving a little and distributing the impact force. When using nylon and the appropriate coating, you can even, with all your might punch a screwdriver through the fabric.

And plastic boats, when not maintained and the hull regularly smoothed, they gain a lot of drag and imho just doesn't have the looks. :wink:

Jorgoz got any advice for me I would love to have a go at building a kayak wheres the best place online to get plans etc.

Skin on frame sounds good. Not too sure, Ive been a carpenter for over 20 years so I dont think its beyond me I just might have to learn a few new techniques maybe.

It all started a year or so ago I had a go at Kayaking when my son did it at Scouts and I had a go too and thought it was fun but not done it since. I keep meaning to have another go as I dont live far from a popular Kayaking spot on the Thames, Shepperton weir. I think what they do at the weir is a bit too hectic for me but I would love to go for a nice easy paddle down the river on a Sunday. Then I saw your post and thought good idea make my own. Do they cost a lot to build ?

http://www.sheppertoncanoeclub.co.uk/

Well, sof building is the cheapest way to build one. It cost me in raw materials about 125 to 150 pounds.

The yost method (also called by some people fuselage style) is really easy if it's your first one.

You probably do it cheaper. I used bruynzeel hechthout for the sections for instance. You have robbins over in the UK, a lot cheaper if you buy their cheap bs1088 ply.

For fabric you could try and find a canvas remnant somewhere. I got my fabric from the states, but it was still cheaper and a lot more suited from what i could find over here. If you go the PVC route, you wouldn't even need to coat it making it get really close to the 100 pounds mark i think.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, i'd gladly help.

Cheers, now i'm thinking maybe a canoe would be better you know the open Canadian type I think that would be better as one of my sons can come along for a ride too if not both of them. I think my brother has that type of canoe and he goes camping in it I suppose they are more stable for a beginer too. I like the wood strip method looks beautiful those websites are very good you posted.

If it's a canadian canoe you want, check out http://www.dreamcatcherboats.com

There are plans you can download for 10$, no instruction manual though. He's got a video explaining everything and you get 2 plans with the video for 50$. Nice looking canoes as well. Not yost style, but imho even more beautiful. I'm having a go at one as wel.l

Song of the paddle forum, self build section is good for building canoes.
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... ild-Canoes

Although it's not just limited to canoes. I see a certain Jorge has posted a build on a very similar sea kayak to this one ;-)

Jorgoz - I do need to paddle more carefully, although I'm primarily a white water paddler so I don't care about scratches causing drag. The river will wash me out the bottom, one way up or another. If I become more careful, hopefully it will be the right way up and together with the boat more often.

Back