Sods or Murphys law?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petercharlesfagg

Established Member
Reaction score
No doubt we have all been offered trees from gardens over the years and in the majority are those that have been used for target practice or "The amateurs guide to Tree Surgery" by the owners!

Also usually the owners hype goes along the lines of "its a nice tree and holds many family members memories so we would appreciate a few bowls etc"! It then turns out to be 6 foot high in a rotting condition and unfit even for burning!

Imagine my surprise this weekend when I visited the home of such a contact to find a 200 year old Beech tree approximately 100 foot high with branches spreading to an almost equal distance!

To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement!

Now if only I can figure out a way to cut it up, transport it, store it and eventually use it!

Regards, Peter.

Now if only I can figure out a way to cut it up, transport it, store it and eventually use it!

depending on where you are i might be able to help you with that - having access to a pick up truck and being a proffesional chainsaw user.

is it already felled ?

and if not how close to the house is it ? - felling bastarrd great trees in the residential setting is not for the faint hearted

petercharlesfagg (UK)":qlbaht5o said:
No doubt we have all been offered trees from gardens over the years and in the majority are those that have been used for target practice or "The amateurs guide to Tree Surgery" by the owners!

Also usually the owners hype goes along the lines of "its a nice tree and holds many family members memories so we would appreciate a few bowls etc"! It then turns out to be 6 foot high in a rotting condition and unfit even for burning!

Imagine my surprise this weekend when I visited the home of such a contact to find a 200 year old Beech tree approximately 100 foot high with branches spreading to an almost equal distance!

To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement!

Regards, Peter.

Have you checked there's no preservation order or some such on it, sods law etc.

I presume you have space to store the timber from it...a lot of it I should imagine. Useful wood though if a bit boring at times. You'd certainly get plenty of platters from it.

pete

Any old beechwood need not be boring: the chances of a brown core are high, and spalting, even if it isn't there already, isn't far off.

I had a piece of brown-cored beech (30" diameter) in my unheated shed for 2 months, and it was nicely spalted afterwards. It was fresh from cutting and I covered the top with some offcuts to prevent it from drying out. Too bad the bark doesn't stay on, but that is the first to rot off, unfortunately.

big soft moose":1udfac2h said:

depending on where you are i might be able to help you with that - having access to a pick up truck and being a proffesional chainsaw user.

is it already felled ?

and if not how close to the house is it ? - felling bastarrd great trees in the residential setting is not for the faint hearted

Thankyou for the offer, what I omitted to say in my original posting was that the owner is having it felled bit by bit because one side is diseased and rotting. The opposite side (If trees have sides!) is still in leaf so the tree surgeon has some half decent timber from which to work!

What is going to happen is that it will merely be stacked in a corner of the large garden and I will have to employ someone with your chainsaw experience to extract the useful burrs etc!

Nice thought though, I wish I could take you up on your offer.

Warmest Regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg (UK)":lj2qbpdo said:
big soft moose":lj2qbpdo said:

is it already felled ?

Thankyou for the offer, what I omitted to say in my original posting was that the owner is having it felled bit by bit because one side is diseased and rotting. The opposite side (If trees have sides!) is still in leaf so the tree surgeon has some half decent timber from which to work!

What is going to happen is that it will merely be stacked in a corner of the large garden and I will have to employ someone with your chainsaw experience to extract the useful burrs etc!

Nice thought though, I wish I could take you up on your offer.

Warmest Regards, Peter.

fairy snuff

i'm happy to help you extract the useful burrs etc if you want so that you dont have to hire someone - you could either pay for my fuel, or share the timber ;)

also dont neglect the diseased side - if its not too far gone you'll get some useful spalted bits - you might also want to talk to the tree surgeon about leaving it in largish section - left to their own devices they often cut down to average log size , which is great for firewood but buggger all use for turning

fairy snuff

i'm happy to help you extract the useful burrs etc if you want so that you dont have to hire someone - you could either pay for my fuel, or share the timber ;)

also dont neglect the diseased side - if its not too far gone you'll get some useful spalted bits - you might also want to talk to the tree surgeon about leaving it in largish section - left to their own devices they often cut down to average log size , which is great for firewood but buggger all use for turning

I am seeing the tree surgeon tomorrow but as I understand things it is going to be left in large sections, almost complete branches! The lady telephoned to day saying that he is having problems getting a hoist on site to move and stack the timber.

I will keep you informed I like the idea.

Regards, Peter.

Latest posts

Back