So why is it called a "block" plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodbrains":1t5w7bfj said:
Hello,

So what else would a plane that is used for planing wood for block printing be called. Block plane has a ring to it, don't you think? Aww, can't call it that in case I get confused when I straighten out me knitting! Hence 'the plane with no name'

Mike.
Stanley says it's for "blocking in", hence the name.

Jacob":2tyv9j1r said:
woodbrains":2tyv9j1r said:
Hello,

So what else would a plane that is used for planing wood for block printing be called. Block plane has a ring to it, don't you think? Aww, can't call it that in case I get confused when I straighten out me knitting! Hence 'the plane with no name'

Mike.

Slightly more credible than the knitting nonsense, at least, and from a slightly more plausible source.

BugBear

bugbear":1awe0sf7 said:
Jacob":1awe0sf7 said:
woodbrains":1awe0sf7 said:
Hello,

Mike.

Slightly more credible than the knitting nonsense, at least, and from a slightly more plausible source.

BugBear
Missing the point as ever. BB when you have nothing interesting to say it's better to say nothing.

In the "old" days (pre factory) trades worked side by side. Sometimes different trades worked by same people - a sailor might well do some woodwork, carving, knitting, sewing, playing the whistle etc. There would be a lot of interchange of terms and traditional knowledge held in common.

Knitting and printing :?:
Can't wait until a link is made to brain surgery :shock:

Jacob":3003iff7 said:
In the "old" days (pre factory) trades worked side by side. Sometimes different trades worked by same people - a sailor might well do some woodwork, carving, knitting, sewing, playing the whistle etc. There would be a lot of interchange of terms and traditional knowledge held in common.

Ramble, ramble, speculate, guess, probably, "I think", "it's obvious"

Post again when you some kind of evidence for your theory that a woodworker's block plane is named after a knitting process.

BugBear

Enough's enough, too hot to put up with you two children playing tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back