So I've got some children of a 1000yr old oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karfeef

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year, the Mrs and my 2 kids went to the park (caulderstones) in Liverpool to check out the 1000yr old oak there. It was just dropping acorns at the time, so I bagged a few. Collecting acorns from this tree is encouraged and records kept of any successful growth from them.

Anyway, not being too sure what to do with them, especially after reading many different techniques to planting, I decided to pop them in a pot with some compost and hope for the best.

As you can see from the pic, I currently have 2 shoots from the 3 I planted. Quite chuffed.

Now to find out what to do next. I'm intending on creating a bonsai with 1 which I've dabbled with in the past.

Fingers crossed I can keep them alive.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392480603929.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392480603929.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 781
Yeah lol, didn't really think through the whole 'growing my own lumber supply' thing... Oh well. :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300

Thats cool. In days of old the landed gentry used to lay down small woods for their grand children to harvest. Nice to keep the tradition going. :)

Grahamshed":16s44v69 said:
Thats cool. In days of old the landed gentry used to lay down small woods for their grand children to harvest. Nice to keep the tradition going. :)

Something I didn't know, but my reasons are similar I guess. My mum (God rest) was in to bonsai, so I decided to carry it on with something local with a ton of history behind it that my kids can pass on to theirs.

Sent from my GT-I9300

gregmcateer":hwttbq96 said:
Grahamshed":hwttbq96 said:
Oh yes, Can you imagine that, A hundred year old oak, on a tray. Brilliant.

And the tray made from 1000year old parent - even cooler!!
Indeed.
Though Liverpool council may have thoughts about that :)

Grahamshed":2r1u3y1o said:
gregmcateer":2r1u3y1o said:
Grahamshed":2r1u3y1o said:

And the tray made from 1000year old parent - even cooler!!
Indeed.
Though Liverpool council may have thoughts about that :)

True they will :). I may have to exercise some of the old scouse stereotype of being one who acquires things in a non lawful manner. Of course I jest :D

Sent from my GT-I9300

Grahamshed":3g0wq6jb said:

someone could harvest it, and make dolls house furniture with perfect grain scale.....

About 15 years ago I dug up a 3" seedling oak that was growing in a pile of wood chippings from some land clearance.

I planted it in the garden but I'm not holding my breath for the time I will get some boards from it - it's barely 10' high so far.

John

If you want bonsai style trees then you have to either buy a starter plane or find a keeper. Other wise your end up it a garden shrub in a pot.
It would take a very very very long time to even establish a twig like trunk on that baby.
In about 50 year or intense keeping and maintenance you should have something :) good luck.

I have a chestnut bonsai on the go with a few other. I've had these for 1-3 year and there isn't much going on it's a slow hobbie.

TT

There probably are several hundred plus bonsai oaks and such in Japan, handed down from generation to generation. There's no way I'd have the patience for that or trust the next person to look after it.

Back