Small light "portable" dust/wood chip extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamonn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a small light "portable" dust/wood chip extractor... but with plenty of power/suction. I don't mind having to empty it out often due to its small size, (end of day/every other day)... but I want something to fit under my seat as I chip outdoors for hardware. Then when I'm done hover up the mess.

Also possibly, an extraction attachment for my cordless drill, for when I'm drilling holes with my spade bits so that I can collect the mess as I create it. If it can be powered and battery that would be great.

What's out there that people are using or know about.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am looking for a small light "portable" dust/wood chip extractor... but with plenty of power/suction. I don't mind having to empty it out often due to its small size, (end of day/every other day)... but I want something to fit under my seat as I chip outdoors for hardware. Then when I'm done hover up the mess.

Also possibly, an extraction attachment for my cordless drill, for when I'm drilling holes with my spade bits so that I can collect the mess as I create it. If it can be powered and battery that would be great.

What's out there that people are using or know about.

Thanks.
£40 vac from Wickes or Screwfix will do the job!!

£40 vac from Wickes or Screwfix will do the job!!
Yeah, but I am looking for one as small as possible, as I be moving and carrying it around. I saw someone use one on a portable mortise machine once. It was yellow, cylindrical and small. "4 cans of Quality Streets stacked on top of each other" small. It had no visible brand name on it. Just a suction machine.

It doesn't need wheels or anything like that. Just the suction machine.

Last edited:
Sorry, what do you mean? I once put something on the end of a hoover when I was young but let's not get into that now.:ROFLMAO:

Oh! You mean the fireplace vacuum.
Apologies, a bit confusing. :unsure: Yes to the fire place vacuum. Though in this particular instance, linked by @Jameshow, it seems to be a filter only. I must admit the listing on Amazon is rather misleading. They are meant to protect your actual vacuum cleaner from the hot ashes, despite having a plastic hose and a cloth filter.

What do folks know about attachments for drills to collect wood chips and dust. I be drilling with spade and Forstner bits so was wondering if anyone has experience with collectors like this one. Will this catch/suck all of it?

1689242338118.png

Last edited:
What do folks know about attachments for drills to collect wood chips and dust. I be drilling with spade and Forstner bits so was wondering if anyone has experience with collectors like this one. Will this catch/suck all of it?

View attachment 162578
I can’t speak about the.Bosch pictured but I have something similar which is really designed for masonry dust. it is great for drilling walls but wood chips would certainly bung it up. You’ll need to check the size of the internal pathways.
Having said that I use a nozzle placed to one side of the bit on my bench drill and that performs really well. I mostly use twist drills or forstner bits and not spade bits.

Yeah, but I am looking for one as small as possible, as I be moving and carrying it around. I saw someone use one on a portable mortise machine once. It was yellow, cylindrical and small. "4 cans of Quality Streets stacked on top of each other" small. It had no visible brand name on it. Just a suction machine.

It doesn't need wheels or anything like that. Just the suction machine.
Its not a cheap option but Festool do a vac that is systainer sized. Other manufacturers may have similar.

https://www.powertool-supplies.co.u...MI1NyRm9iNgAMVEeF3Ch1LZwQ3EAQYBCABEgJYN_D_BwE

I can’t speak about the.Bosch pictured but I have something similar which is really designed for masonry dust. it is great for drilling walls but wood chips would certainly bung it up. You’ll need to check the size of the internal pathways.
Having said that I use a nozzle placed to one side of the bit on my bench drill and that performs really well. I mostly use twist drills or forstner bits and not spade bits.
Yeah, I was using the Bosch image was for a generic example of a dust collector. Perhaps something like that, but doctored with a new wider hole and hot glue.

How do you place/hold/secure the "nozzle placed to one side of the bit"?

Yeah, I was using the Bosch image was for a generic example of a dust collector. Perhaps something like that, but doctored with a new wider hole and hot glue.

How do you place/hold/secure the "nozzle placed to one side of the bit"?
Bear in mind this for a bench drill, I generally use one these two options…

IMG_2210.jpeg
or

IMG_2209.jpeg

Last edited:
I have something similar dewalt branded. The dewalt has two interchangeable rings, one large one small, and no bristles.
It's intended for masonry dust and works well for that. The intake slot that runs round the inside of the ring is far too narrow for the chippings from forstner, flat or wood beaver type bit.
These things stick themselves to the wall using some of the suction from the vacuum. Very handy, but if you modified it to create a bigger inlet for bigger chips, the suction force would be reduced and it might fall off the wall ...

I have something similar dewalt branded. The dewalt has two interchangeable rings, one large one small, and no bristles.
It's intended for masonry dust and works well for that. The intake slot that runs round the inside of the ring is far too narrow for the chippings from forstner, flat or wood beaver type bit.
These things stick themselves to the wall using some of the suction from the vacuum. Very handy, but if you modified it to create a bigger inlet for bigger chips, the suction force would be reduced and it might fall off the wall ...
Yeah, I think when the time comes, I will have to bite the bullet and buy one, and hack and glue a Frankenstein/prototype version into life and then test it. 😂

I bought an unused Vacmaster Multi 20 PTO on Gumtree for £30. I’ve found it to be great and it fits straight onto the outlet on my tracksaw. Even at the normal price of £70 I would recommend it. Adding a cyclone would be good but will reduce portability.
https://www.cleva-uk.com/collection...appK7uVvgqxAUf-JbMY5Ylelkal_5R6EaAmsQEALw_wcB
How are you using it, in relation to the disposable cartridge filter. I mean can it be washed/air hosed cleaned... or even a washable/permanent one be bought, that will fit?

Back