Small bow saw (pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipp

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to show some pics of my recently finished little bow saw.

Made from maple, walnut (sapwood) and padouk. The “nut” with its movable stopper enables an easy tension adjustment by half turns.

B7185.jpg

B7186.jpg

B7187.jpg

Blade is made from steel 0,3 mm in thickness and filed for cross-cut with 16 ppi.

B7188.jpg

Works a treat, though some exercise is required when otherwise used to back saws and Japanese saws.

This bow saw won’t be my last one.

Regards, Philipp

Simply beautiful my friend!

Since coming to this forum my eyes have been well and truly opened to the diversity of hand tools that are around and the skills of the craftsmen that make them.

This is up there at the top with its simplicity, harmony and functionality.

I want one now!!!

Philipp...if you could explain the choice of various woods that you used and their context within the saw based on their characteristics...I am all for learning these things....

Jim

Smudger":21vq7h3h said:
I've never used a bow saw. What are the advantages (apart from looking very good)?

There are really two questions here: a "turning saw" has a narrow blade, which (being narrow) MUST be held under tension. It MUST be narrow, since its purpose is to cut curves.

In Continental Europe, there are much large framer saws, intended to make straight cuts (cross cut and rip).

These use minimal metal (not so important these days), but also allow a shallow and thin blade to be used, reducing friction, reducing kerf size, amount of wood turned to sawdust, and thus effort.

If such a thin blade were used in a British hand saw, it would buckle.

BugBear

Dear all,

Thank you for your replies. I am happy that's not only me who likes this small bow saw.

Wow I like that a lot !, like the 'sliding toggle' too-someone is gonna steal that idea-brilliant, eye candy curves too.

Well, to be honest, it is not my idea...I stole it from an old bow saw I purchased from England (and for which I filed a saw blade yesterday. Will post pics later).

Philipp...if you could explain the choice of various woods that you used and their context within the saw based on their characteristics...I am all for learning these things....

Hi Jim, I simply used what I had. The wood for the bows has to be stable enough to withstand the tensioning powers. So I thought that maple was a good choice. Also ash or beech would work fine (as many other species).
The stretcher doesn't need to be that strong, therefore I chose some light weight wood from my scrap box and stumbled over the walnut sap wood.

I've never used a bow saw. What are the advantages (apart from looking very good)?

Smudger, I can't tell what the advantages of a bow saw are. I suppose most people would rather think that it had disadvantages compared to e.g. back saws.
I just wanted to make one and wanted to find out how it works.

I live in Germany and over here almost all woodwork of former times was made with bow saws. Those nice back saws that you have in the UK were not so well known and used here. My personal guess is that cabinetmakers simply were too poor to afford these nice saws that indeed work very well. Bow saws are easy to make when you have woodworking skills. Making back saws requires some skills and equipment in metalwork which the fewest had (same with planes: almost no iron planes over here, only wood planes. The cabinet maker only needed to purchase the irons and could make the rest in his own).

Based on that background I wanted to learn how to use a bow saw and how it works compared to a back saw. And it teaches me much. Working with a bow saw is definitely something different than working with a back saw. Not necessarily better or worse.

Since much of our woodwork is also about training our fine motor skills, using a bow saw is a new and helpful experience.

Best regards, Philipp

Thanks for the replies. I assumed it was tradition. I'm just contemplating making a 1/32 scale bow saw or two for a projected 54mm diorama of a 15th century woodwork shop. Don't know if it will happen, as I never seem to have the time or patience for modelling these days - though after my latest woodworking efforts it might be an idea to switch...

Darn it Philipp...yer supposed to say that it's like an English Longbow which has sapwood on the outer with a belly of heartwood thus giving unique tensioning characteristics of the yew....

:D :D :D

Never-the-less.... it is fantastic stuff and I think I might look into this!

Cheers mate

Jim

jimi43":3vaf0q1s said:
Darn it Philipp...yer supposed to say that it's like an English Longbow which has sapwood on the outer with a belly of heartwood thus giving unique tensioning characteristics of the yew....

:D :D :D

Never-the-less.... it is fantastic stuff and I think I might look into this!

Cheers mate

Jim

Hi Jim. Thought you would have made your own bow saw by now.

swagman.

HA! It's on the "to do this summer" list...

I am just interested in the unique merits of this type of instrument...it must have characteristics over and above the standard backsaw...I think the possibility of very narrow kerf is one...although a Japanese saw may be equally suitable...(I am looking into those too...probably after Staplehurst has convinced me!)

I can see yew as being a possible candidate for the members though...certainly the torsion elements....and the steel....the possibilities are endless....and fun.

They are such beautiful looking things too...

Jim

I made a bigger bow saw last year as a little exercise...quite good fun :wink: I used a bit of 6mm studding to apply tension and used a 600mm length of bandaw blade...it works very well but tends to 'grab' at the start of a cut. I deliberatly made it that long so I could, if required fit one of those Jap universal blades - Rob

Latest posts

Back