Skinning over?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a litre of Fiddes hardwax oil from Axminster a few months ago and having used around half the tin, it's now starting to go thick and gloopy with a skin forming on the top. Anyone got any bright ideas to prevent this sort of thing happening? (or at least slowing it down) - Rob

You could also (in future - too late now) put washed stones or marbles in the tin to raise the level, again, to reduce contact with the air.
S

How about laying some clingfilm or greaseproof paper or similar on the surface before putting the lid back on ?

Cheers, Paul :D

For paints and varnishes in round 'paint' type tins, I refit the lid firmly and invert the tin so when I next go to it and should a skin have formed, the product is still usable immediately.

Bob

9fingers":2rjv8gjg said:
For paints and varnishes in round 'paint' type tins, I refit the lid firmly and invert the tin so when I next go to it and should a skin have formed, the product is still usable immediately.

Bob

That's quite ingenious Bob, had to think about it for a minute, but means that when you turn the can right end up eventually when you come to want to use it, any skin ends up at the bottom out of the way, brilliant really !

Cheers, Paul :D

I'd go with the decant to a smaller container having had some danish oil go gloopy on me recently when there was only about 15% left

I don't know how useful this would be but I use Lock & Lock containers like these.

Mind you, I only use Ronseal type varnishes.

However even when only half full I've opened the container after a couple of months and found it still perfectly useable, because the container is airtight I guess.

It's easier to open than a can and, even if the varnish hardens around the rim, I can easily scrape it off of the plastic.

Thanks Nigel, that's a great tip. I tend to keep small quantities of emulsion in case I need to touch up at some stage but invariably it has gone off in a large tin when I come to use it. Plus it means a lot less storage space.

Regards Keith

Poke a small hole in the self-formed lid and pour what you need out. Have a beer/wine/whatever and congratulate yourself on saving loads of time for beer/wine/whatever.

Alternatively worry a lot about the ideal way and devise a jig with a few hundred settings to deal with each particular formulation of awkward skin-forming-in-the-tin-stuff. And then have a beer/wine/whatever and congratulate oneself on how much one has saved by not drinking so much beer/wine/whatever.

I go with nine fimgers on this one I always invert the part used tins and it works fine, just remember to put the lid on firmly or you will get your feet covered the next time, not good for a pair brand new boots !!

I used the tin again last night and took Bob9finger's advice and turned it upside down when I'd finished...lid banged on tight of course. I'll open it again tonight and see what it's like - Rob

You might find the skin that forms is very delicate in only 24 hours and may not support the weight of the contents.

I don't normally find skinning takes place during a job but during weeks between jobs.

Cheers

Bob

One thing that has just occurred to me, is if it is skinning over very quickly, then perhaps it needs thinning down a bit anyway - providing you can get the correct thinners?

Rod

Hi

An American student on one of my courses told me the other day that it is possible to get aerosol cans of argon. A quick squirt before putting the lid on means the argon, which s heavier than air, settles on the surface of the varnish thus preventing oxidation. I've not used it but it sounds quite ingenious. He is going to get me a can, I'll tell you how it goes.

Chris

Mr T":2mat3w3e said:
An American student on one of my courses told me the other day that it is possible to get aerosol cans of argon. A quick squirt before putting the lid on means the argon, which s heavier than air, settles on the surface of the varnish thus preventing oxidation. I've not used it but it sounds quite ingenious. He is going to get me a can, I'll tell you how it goes.

That idea is not new. I remember from my photographic processing days, people used to use similar products to exclude the air from bottles of photographic chemicals to make them last longer. Trouble is it all becomes a bit of a palava, doesn't work particularly well and can cost quite a bit - which is the problem Rob started out with.

Another alternative, which costs nothing, is to save up old screw-top jam jars, or similar small bottles, and decant the liquid into those.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back