SIP website discounts!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weirwolf

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has noticed, but sip has some massive discounts on their website at the moment.
Have been watching a couple of 6 x 4 P/T on fleabay and the 8 x 4 are going for £200 on the website. :shock:

Now how can I distract the missus so she does not ask what's in the big box if I order one? :lol: :whistle:

Those discounts are the same that I saw the last time i looked about a year ago :shock:
And even at those prices there are bargains to be had elsewhere.

Harry

What is the quality of SIP like? I had posted regarding the SIP 01335 thicknesser as it is on eBay for just under £190 including delivery.

I have no experience with this brand; is it better than Clarke, Nu-Tool etc?

Whoops. Did not realise that this was constant/ongoing discounts. :oops:

Can we put this post down to inexperienced newbie? :oops: :roll:

Willow":30xbjsff said:
What is the quality of SIP like? I had posted regarding the SIP 01335 thicknesser as it is on eBay for just under £190 including delivery.

I have no experience with this brand; is it better than Clarke, Nu-Tool etc?

Some stuff looks nice, others looks low end. For instance I quite like the look of their cabinet saws if I could fit them in my WS. However, I wouldn't buy their P/T. So it depends on what you want.

Thanks for the input Wizer.

I certainly want to have a good look at this thicknesser. By accident I have come across a Fox model that, apart from the colour, looks identical to the SIP model, same spec, everything.

As I generally don't work in anything larger than 1/12th scale it is a piece of kit that I have always considered a luxury. However, I have an order from an overseas furniture company for a series of 1:5 scale showroom models and given that some of the table tops are 500 x 200 mm at that scale a thicknesser is now looking like an essential addition.

Quality of finish rather than removing vast amounts of wood is more important. At least SWMBO is convinced it is a good investment so that's the main hurdle overcome.

for a thickesser only unit, I'd reccomend you get a new or second hand Dewalt DW733. Steer Clear of Fox and SIP, IMO

Thanks. The DeWalt had been the one I had decided on until I found the SIP model whilst searching the web for good deals on the DW733.

I would rather pay more for something that will give me the finish I want as £190 is not a bargain if the thing is no good.

we bought a dw733 for work at the end of last financial year and it is an excellent bit of kit, robust , easy to set up and use and a good finish - we paid circa 300 notes IIRC from axminster

imo its better to buy from a reputable outlet as a good deal also isnt a good deal if the delivery and after sales service is rubbish.

I think I sold my 733 for £200. Keep watching eBay

How about Sip bandsaws, any good? I want one for cutting blanks for turning so dead-on accuracy isn't an issue.

Brendan

I've got the 12" SIP bandsaw (01486), have had it for two-and-a-half years and it's served me very well. I used it for general ripping (no table saw) and resawing up to 6in. (on the odd occasion). It copes very well, although sharp, good quality blades are the most important thing. It won't take a 5/8" blade, despite what the literature says, although you can still get good results with a 1/2" blade.

Dust extraction isn't great and dust will build up around the lower guides, in time. Fence is okay but the upper guard doesn't travel perfectly vertical in line with the blade - you'll need to check and reset the side bearings each time you raise/lower it by a couple of inches. I have trouble getting the two halves of the table level in the centre but, some other owners on this forum don't seem to have this problem...

I payed £200 this saw from West Skelton Services (via eBay) back in 2006 so, I can't complain. :)

Thanks Olly,

I'm going to look at the Sip because it seems adequate for my purpose if I use good blades.

Brendan

Back