Silver birch - any use as timber?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies to all, for some reason I posted pictures of teh wrong bowl :( The one depicted above in this thread are of Alder.. not birch.

These are the correct pictures

P1020649.JPG

P1020650.JPG

P1020651.JPG

P1020652.JPG

P1020653.JPG

As you can see, not typical birch. My apologies to anyone I may have inadvertently misled.

Attachments

• P1020649.JPG
    P1020649.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 102
  • P1020650.JPG
    P1020650.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 102
  • P1020651.JPG
    P1020651.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 102
  • P1020652.JPG
    P1020652.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 102
  • P1020653.JPG
    P1020653.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 102
What I'd like to know, is was this wood also turned with your new patented Mushy Peas Method? :lol: :p

That's pretty interesting stuff, are the black stained areas spalted? Or just the sort of "Blotchy" stain someone mentioned previously?

I'd read it was pale and plain to the point of a little boring unless you got a bit with nicer figuring etc in it, so it'd be interesting if that's a variant look for the wood, like you get the dreaded gray stain in sycamore, or maybe like the nicer Olive Ash. I'd admit the large black/gray stains are not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it'll appeal to many others. The Paler parts of the wood already look like they're taking a nice gleam (esp. 3rd photo) as they are, so finished, they may well look spectacular - I reserve the right to change my mind about the darker areas once I see it dried and finished to a shine! :)

To Krysstel/Mark:- Those works in your gallery are stunning. The chatoyance in the finish is quite captivating, I'll bet it's had a few double-takes from visitors and guests, is that your house? Good work!

Nic.

nicguthrie":1eawq37p said:
To Krysstel/Mark:- Those works in your gallery are stunning. The chatoyance in the finish is quite captivating, I'll bet it's had a few double-takes from visitors and guests, is that your house? Good work!

Nic.

Thanks Nic. Yep, our house.

Mark

nicguthrie":1j3h89yl said:
What I'd like to know, is was this wood also turned with your new patented Mushy Peas Method? :lol: :p

That's pretty interesting stuff, are the black stained areas spalted? Or just the sort of "Blotchy" stain someone mentioned previously?

I'd read it was pale and plain to the point of a little boring unless you got a bit with nicer figuring etc in it, so it'd be interesting if that's a variant look for the wood, like you get the dreaded gray stain in sycamore, or maybe like the nicer Olive Ash. I'd admit the large black/gray stains are not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it'll appeal to many others. The Paler parts of the wood already look like they're taking a nice gleam (esp. 3rd photo) as they are, so finished, they may well look spectacular - I reserve the right to change my mind about the darker areas once I see it dried and finished to a shine! :)

Nic.

Nope, my favourite tool, 1/2 Crown cryo bowl gouge.

I had a request for two small matching bowls, very plain, very pale. So when I saw the birch log in the woodpile I thought it would be the thing to use, The wood is as sawn and rough turned for drying. Big surprise to me also.. so now still looking for a very plain bit of wood to make these bowls.

Latest posts

Back