Show us your Block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my veritas dx60, I tried a few planes but this felt perfect in my hand. Some beauties on display here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 2,620
Well, having seen the earlier posts, I feel somewhat under provided for in the showy block plane department!

But here are some I have found useful.
My default proper block plane is this modern Stanley (though old enough to have been properly made in Sheffield) which I bought second hand in Bristol Design about 30 years ago

951DCD1D-99DD-4B6B-AB6A-59220A9D172C_zps3579ktkz.jpg

If I want to plane down the ends of dovetails, I find this Mujingfang small smoother ideal - there is more length in front of the blade, which helps keep things level.

24A55167-3941-43B0-A05F-9023246D1062_zpsvq7eu3bn.jpg

Another block plane job is to knock off a sharp arris, which is conveniently done with a small plane you can hold in one hand. This unnamed woodie fits the bill; I think they are still common and cheap.

C4F46642-9E8D-4DE4-8E48-A1D4E54E3313_zpsn2mswstb.jpg

If you can't find one, these, even tinier, can be bought on eBay for about a fiver, direct from Hong Kong. Almost suitable to hang up as a decoration on the Christmas tree.

93763B9E-B392-4BD0-B7E4-018F9B699833_zpsagloiuoy.jpg

And here is a group shot, to show the relative sizes:

2E1BC683-7316-4A34-B11E-19CA650B9727_zpsptvv8ceg.jpg

But all in all, I am left thinking that I might still have room for a few more planes yet...

I have one of those Stanley's, Andy, my first block plane. Much fettled with a Japanese laminated blade it is very good and much nicer to use than the LN 60 1/2 (awkward to adjust) which I sold. I also hae a Veritas NX60; beautifuly made and with many refinements but not as comfortable as the Stanley.

Nearly forgot the Veritas skew version; a superb little plane and infinitely superior to the LN equivalent the sale of which helped finance the Veritas.

Jim

An additional thing might be discussing the use we get out of our block planes.

I've got a Stanley 60 1/2. It actually took a fair amount of fettling to get right (flattening the bottom/sole and filing the bedding angle to get the iron straight to the mouth). I find it great for end grain, I.e. squaring and flattening off the end of boards etc. It's also great for chamfering edges (relieving arrises) and flattening short bits of boards. I think it's brilliant for end grain work and doing jobs that hand planes are too big for, so it gets a lot of work. I also use it for trimming small bits of wood, such as making dowels, by holding the plane firm, up-side down and running a bit of wood over it (any other plane can do this too). So it's also better at shaping rounded wotsits.

I'd also think about the cutting angle and how that affects the work you're doing. A standard block plane ends up with a cutting angle similar to a standard plane (due to being bevel up), but a low angle block plane with a low cut bevel can be a bit better at tasks and woods a normal plane isn't due to ultimately being "sharper".

I have a few. '80's Stanley 60.5 - perfectly good block plane. Stanley 102 that dates pretty early - not a bad little trim Plane.
Quangsheng - Very nicely made but a bit heavy for one handed use. Veritas Apron - blade isn't the greatest but I probably got the duff one.
The little Muji - nice little woodie with a very decent bit of steel.

I Have a Lie.Nielsen 60 1/2, Lie-Nielsen 102 and Kunz 100.

IMG_0017.JPG

Cheers
Pedder

paulm2930":n3215fd6 said:
Part of the reason for this thread was to gauge what others used so I could
Choose my first, I'm considering the axminster brand 60 1/2 or 9 1/2, or their
Rider version, or possibly spending a bit more on a quangsheng, can anyone share
Opinion on either of these?
And thanks for the welcome
Paul

I would go with the quangsheng. I have the LA rider and i have yet to sort out the mouth/ bed on it. The machining of the support at the mouth is off. One side is higher that the other - so only half of the blade cuts. Plus you will get a better blade with the QS. I have one of their blades and chip breaker in my 4 1/2 and can recommend them. :)
Next year i will get myself a LA QS from mathew for work. :)

If I could go back I would get a veritas block, preferably a low angle one. Veritas also do a great shoulder plane. Not a fan of their bench planes but at the end if the day is all about what you can afford and preference.

So, what direction are you going?

TT

carlb40":f6spt8bm said:
I have the LA rider and i have yet to sort out the mouth/ bed on it. The machining of the support at the mouth is off. One side is higher that the other - so only half of the blade cuts.

Why would want to sort it out? A blade bed that is not aligned with the sole is unforgiveable, even on the cheapest plane. Send it back, it's not fit for purpose, or in consumer protection speak, not of merchantable quality.

Jim

Here are my block planes and some other small planes. The Record 60 1/2 gets the most use. If I had none, I think I'd look for an old Record/Stanley or maybe a new QS.

Attachments

• IMG_1544C.jpg
    IMG_1544C.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 1,188
tobytools":1y38kwdl said:
If I could go back I would get a veritas block, preferably a low angle one. Veritas also do a great shoulder plane. Not a fan of their bench planes but at the end if the day is all about what you can afford and preference.

TT

Well I will be making myself a bed frame soon, possibly made of oak, but I would like to start making furniture and see how things go.
I bought a QS number 6 which should be delivered soon and will complement that with a decent block plane, I just didn't want to go mad
Spending on a high end block if cheaper ones do a perfectly good job.
Thanks for the advice all

Paul

paulm2930":3f4le32v said:
tobytools":3f4le32v said:

TT

Well I will be making myself a bed frame soon, possibly made of oak, but I would like to start making furniture and see how things go.
I bought a QS number 6 which should be delivered soon and will complement that with a decent block plane, I just didn't want to go mad

Paul

Never used a QS bench plane myself but have heard good things, in regards to Cheaper tools doing a perfectly good job, there are a few older threads that will confirm this. Do you want flashy high end tools (nothing wrong with this) or vintage tools, I myself use a range of brand new and vintage (I'm sure most are the same)
I favour some woodies over modern ones, but that's me.

Any tool will preform well enough once tuned and used properly.
Good luck

TT

tobytools":170edfol said:
Never used a QS bench plane myself but have heard good things, in regards to Cheaper tools doing a perfectly good job, there are a few older threads that will confirm this. Do you want flashy high end tools (nothing wrong with this) or vintage tools, I myself use a range of brand new and vintage (I'm sure most are the same)
I favour some woodies over modern ones, but that's me.

Any tool will preform well enough once tuned and used properly.
Good luck

TT

You certainly won't go wrong with QS planes from Workshop Heaven although I have heard that QS from other suppliers are not necessarily of the same standard.

Buying used can be a bit of a minefield and it is true that pretty much any plane can be made to work well but, if you are unlucky, it can be an awful lot of work and you need to ask yourself whether you would prefer to be spending your time making furniture rather that fettling tools. Some people seem to spend most of their time restoring old tools; nothing wrong with that but I like making stuff out of wood.

Jim

paulm2930":2nlbj0ay said:

Paul

I have just ordered the Stanley premium low angle plane. £53 inc delivery.

If it's as good as the low angle jack, it should be well worth the money. I'll post my thoughts up on here when i've received it.

Cheers

Karl

Latest posts

Back