Shock, Home made sander works

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernienufc

Established Member
Reaction score
As my thicknesser planer is a hobby one i cannot work with wood that is wider than 5", so i decided what i needed was a thicknesser sander having seen one on the web :D
Problem, the only thing i have made in wood is a few items with a scroll saw so it would be a miracle for it to work correctly at the end of the build.
So off to the recycling yard and i picked up a load of bits and bobs as you do, i dug out all my left over wood which unfortunately was hefty so the sander is a bit of an overkill. I also wanted a desktop version.
So spent some money: £12 on a steel bar, £2 on velcro, £7 fior a velcro sanding beltl and £11 NVR Switch.
I cut a bit off a hoover attachment and glued in in the top cover and it really does suck out the dust well.

I tested it a short while ago on some sycamore and i have to say i am extremely well pleased, i put 2 pieces through so i can make a breadboard with an inlay now. A bit brutish i know but for a my first tool build i am happy it works, and at a cheap cost too :D
sander1.JPG

sander2.JPG

sander3.JPG

Attachments

• sander1.JPG
    sander1.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 254
  • sander2.JPG
    sander2.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 254
  • sander3.JPG
    sander3.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 254
Yes i did save some serious money, it will never be as good as a proper one but it will do for little projects, but most of all i enjoyed building it and learnt a lot, there is so much to this subject its unreal :)

If it works and does what you intended it to do then there's nowt wrong with it looking a little chunky, how do you adjust for wood thickness ?

I took the foot off of a cabinet and turned it upside down, i glued a nut into the crossmember and i get about 40mm adjustment.

sander4.JPG

Attachments

• sander4.JPG
    sander4.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 183
bernienufc":2poiekkn said:
I took the foot off of a cabinet and turned it upside down, i glued a nut into the crossmember and i get about 40mm adjustment.

Simple but effective =D>

Baldhead":148yryk9 said:
Bernie, very nice, looks are unimportant, it does what it's supposed to do, out of interest what sort of motor is it?

Baldhead

Ahh now there's a thing :D next time you go into any diy/paint store that mixes paint you should see a shaker that they put the tin into to mix it, well its a motor out of an old one of those :D

Nice work Bernie. 8)
I did something very similar but with tattier reclaimed wood and I didn't go "flash" and use a tensioner for the belt, I didn't think of that! It looks a little "agricultural" but works a treat, I can thickness down ~1mm no trouble at all. And as you point out it represents a £600 saving over the current cheapest commercial drum sander I can find (the Jet fro Axminster).
Well done indeed. Now go and use it in anger! :D

Back