Sharpening Narex chisels.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matjos26

Reaction score
Would sharpening a new Narex chisel on a Stanley oil stone ruin it? Any advice on sharpening chisels Thanks

matjos26":1mkbtylv said:
Would sharpening a new Narex chisel on a Stanley oil stone ruin it? Any advice on sharpening chisels Thanks

Here we go again.........................(Sorry, in-joke!)

If you do a search of the Forum for sharpening, you'll find enough information and opinions on it to keep you busy until your brain explodes!

Hi

Please please please delete this post for a while :) - have a look at some of the other sharpening threads to see what you will unleash by asking this question :cry: , (chisel sharpening, which, incidentally has been the subject of numerous other threads).

Please - we don't need another sharpening debate :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regards Mick

Matjos26,

No damage will be done to your chisels, give it a try and see how you feel about the results. If you feel the edge is lacking come back and ask for more advice.

I've said befor and say again there should be a sharpening chat room so it stops comming up every few days and BANG! Here it goes again.
If a load of people agree when should ask it to happen,
The sharpening room can be for all tools and as sharpening is very important, whatever way u decide to do it is a big part of wood work.
Who's with me on this

TT

You know, I was thinking that a sticky "sharpening FAQ", which summarises the varied methods, stances and views, and discourages the creation of any new thread unless it is a genuinely new topic, could help keep the lid on things.

The trouble is:
tobytools":20q45hdq said:
If a load of people agree
Agreement seems a scarce resource ...

Lol agreement on techniques, does, don't, oil, water stones yes but.
If well pull together just this once, those who like to rant about this matter can do so in a dedicated room.
Makes perfect sence.
I'll make a tread and see who agrees

TT

I think ill look for the sharpening bit on here. but i do think my question was specific and the sharpening part was secondary. in years to come i hope i can help others and remember when i was a bit green lol

Sheffield Tony":3vgzbfsn said:
You know, I was thinking that a sticky "sharpening FAQ", which summarises the varied methods, stances and views, and discourages the creation of any new thread unless it is a genuinely new topic, could help keep the lid on things.

Similar things happen in the world of cycling and helmets. Any attempt to agree a FAQ inevitably turns into a another venom-fest, which rather defeats the object.

BugBear

A sharpening room may indeed caus er solve a lot of problems.

But here we at least have a specific question. "Would sharpening a new Narex chisel on a Stanley oil stone ruin it?"

Assuming you mean ruin the chisel rather than the stone matjos, welcome btw, no. :)

Simple enough.

Other things to bare in mind can, and usually do run into endless pages of rubbish. The trouble is that nearly everyone one here is very good at sharpening so the way that they do it must be right. They are all right but often forget.
To new members this must be quite baffling.

Maybe people should put themselves forward as a source of sharpening knowledge to be pm'd by newbies - stating beforehand what religious sharpening doctrine they follow: oil/water/diamond/freehand/insane etc and do it all one to one in the privacy of that pm and not frighten the horses.

The Stanley stone may not be the best in the world but I doubt that it's possible for an Oil stone to ruin a chisel. The worst that it can do is give you an edge that may not be as sharp as it could/should be.

If the oilstone is new, it might absorb quite a lot of oil at first.
The purpose of the oil is to wash away the minute particles of steel so the surface of the stone stays clean and will cut.
I use 3-in-1 oil and find it ideal.
Wipe the stone with rag after use.

May I as a relative newbie on here put forward that rather than a sharpening room, there be a totally different website. perhaps named "theinfinitesharpeningtechniquedebate.co.uk"

nathan

tobytools":1e87h5y5 said:
I've said befor and say again there should be a sharpening chat room so it stops comming up every few days and BANG! Here it goes again.
If a load of people agree when should ask it to happen,
The sharpening room can be for all tools and as sharpening is very important, whatever way u decide to do it is a big part of wood work.
Who's with me on this

TT

I think that's a very good idea. I'll vote for it.

nathandavies":32ajvcb5 said:
May I as a relative newbie on here put forward that rather than a sharpening room, there be a totally different website. perhaps named "theinfinitesharpeningtechniquedebate.co.uk"

nathan

Maby, but as a ukw member why would I want to go to another website when I can have the infomation on the no1 website :)
Also we have Jacob here ;)

TT

G S Haydon":x3gdkln1 said:
Matjos26,

No damage will be done to your chisels, give it a try and see how you feel about the results. If you feel the edge is lacking come back and ask for more advice.

+1

HI matjos26,

Welcome to the forum.

matjos26":1i2hem5o said:

I haven't used an oil stone, but I can offer some advice about Narex chisels that will apply to all methods of sharpening. I have found that when you sharpen any Narex chisel, for the first few times, that the steel feels quite "crumbly". This is not my description, but it exactly describes my experience.

Once you have sharpened them a few times you will hit the harder steel and they will retain an edge for a lot longer.

Good luck,
Neil

matjos26":23tzqt78 said:
I think ill look for the sharpening bit on here. but i do think my question was specific and the sharpening part was secondary. in years to come i hope i can help others and remember when i was a bit green lol

You have come to the best place to ask, don't be afraid to ask more. Sharpening technique is a very hotly debated topic on here and every sharpening thread usually turns into 8 pages of argument. No you won't damage them.
Have a look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4CzzQaZDo and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZ8446KqkM

Oil stone's are fine, they work exactly the same as water stones, waterstones cut quicker though. Oil stones were around for a long time before water stones became popular.

tobytools":26o4tyaf said:
nathandavies":26o4tyaf said:

nathan

Maby, but as a ukw member why would I want to go to another website when I can have the infomation on the no1 website :)
Also we have Jacob here ;)

TT

The room will of course be padded.

Back