Second Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

could anyone recommend a router that isn't too heavy for light (ish) work, also that isn't too expensive.

Ive got a Dewalt 625 but its getting a pain taking it out the router table all the time so I'd like to leave it there.

It's also pretty heavy aswell for hand use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I agree the DW621 is a nice router..but, it does have the silly person switch. My preference would be for the DW 615 which is a direct decendant of the Elu 96E. I have one of these and it is a great little router. There is one drawback though and that is that it doesn't have the dust extraction through the tubes like the 621. These are both 1/4" collet routers though. Not sure if you wanted a 1/2"? Only problem then is they get quite heavy for hand held use. HTH. :wink:

I've a Trend T5 (bought new) and a couple of Elu MOF96Es (bought second hand). They're all quite capable of light/moderate work, and are not too heavy to use hand held.

The design of the T5 is largely based on the 96E. In my opinion, though, the T5 is of a lower quality.

As Mailee says, the closest you can now get to a 96E on the new market is a DW615. Although I've never used a DW615, I'd definitely choose it over the T5 if I made the decision again.

HTH

Neil

I'm looking to pick up a decent secondhand Dewalt 615 at the moment - nothing on Ebay at a reasonable price at the moment though.

Rob_H":2xs3ed80 said:
I'm looking to pick up a decent secondhand Dewalt 615 at the moment - nothing on Ebay at a reasonable price at the moment though.
Sorry, must be going mad - there's a few on there with reasonable prices at the moment. Where's my medication :oops:

Depends on what your cutting and what size bits.

I've used a laminate trimmer in the past for small stuff. Wish i could use it all the time but alas it is not that powerful.

Hi all,

What about the Trend T4? I've been looking at them and I'm quite impressed. They are designed to be light weight. Any opinions?

(Sorry if I've hijacked the thread :oops: )

Richard

Although I don't have one I used to own a Trend T4 Richard and it is a good little router for hand held use. I used it to make freehand signs most of the time. It is light and powerful enough for light work. I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed any more routers. :wink:

Latest posts

Back