Screwfix Deal on Scheppach HA1000 Dust Extractor (£100)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bandsaw, so something like this is on my never-ending list of kit to buy.
However... at 'a hunnerd squid', that Scheppagh looks awfully expensive for a 1000w vacuum... and the reviews aren't particularly stunning. As a beginner myself, I'd not touch that.

Several forum members here have recommended the Katsu brand of ash/fireplace vacuums you can get on eBay. £40 will get you a 1200w one. These usually have standard size hose fitments, so you can use all the usual vacuum attachments if you need and places like Axminster sell adapters so you fit them to your power tools and machinery.

Tasky":1qataias said:
.........Several forum members here have recommended the Katsu brand of ash/fireplace vacuums you can get on eBay. £40 will get you a 1200w one. These usually have standard size hose fitments, so you can use all the usual vacuum attachments if you need and places like Axminster sell adapters so you fit them to your power tools and machinery.

Not knocking the Katsu but, not much good for the OPs use - would clog with shavings. Rutlands have a cheaper model than the Screwfix one but no personal experience of either - https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-too ... nds+dk7109

i use an old earlex wet/dry shop vac connected to a cyclone, the vac is pushing 15 years old and still works well although it looks nothing like it's original incarnation, but it's the cyclone that has made so much difference, i have also made fitments for the cyclone to run from some of my other vacs as a backup if the earlex dies,

GrahamF":28ngr1i3 said:
Not knocking the Katsu but, not much good for the OPs use - would clog with shavings.

A cyclone would solve that problem.

I use our Hetty with a HEPA connected to my cyclone at the moment and it works well although I am looking to find something suitable for use over longer periods - like an hour or two. What I really want is something quiet. The Charnwood 696 is supposed to be quiet, but I'd like somehting a bit cheaper.

GrahamF":3pp5c623 said:
Not knocking the Katsu but, not much good for the OPs use - would clog with shavings.
I guess it depends whether these are crumpled little half-thou flakes, or great big 2-3 foot long ribbons... when you say 'shaving' I tend to imagine the latter, in which case I'd simply sweep those up (great for lighting the barbecue) into a bin and then vacuum up the small flakes along with the sawdust.

Or would the Katsu type not even handle the flakes, do you think?

I have the sip version of that. It is first class. It does all my machines easily, and I have a 62 mm pipe system around the workshop using gate valves for each machine.

It IS NOISY! No question. But it is also a piece of cake for any woodworker to make a noise reducing cabinet for it. Mine is in a 22 mm mdf cabinet with an old blanket on the inside, its easy to talk normally when it is running.

I use this on a bandsaw, sander, mitre saw, and even a thicknesser and it copes completely with all waste, even through a 62 mm felxible hose.

Gets 5 stars from me. (oh alright, 4 and a half because it IS NOISY).

Tasky":3272364z said:
Or would the Katsu type not even handle the flakes, do you think?
[/quote]

You're right about sweeping, that's what I do.

I have a 1400w Karcher with 30mm ID hose and an ancient Aquavac 1000w with 28 & 52 mm hoses. Do the job as dust extractors OK on router table, sanders etc. but both block up very easily with shavings, even using the 52mm hose. Some of the larger extractors (maybe Scheppach and Rutlands?) have grids on the inlets to stop damage by larger pieces. Even those clog with shavings unless the grid is removed.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - we are talking ribbons rather than tiny bits. I should probably sweep then vacuum but the asthmatic vacuum I have suffers with just general dust so I'll likely have to fork out for a new one of them too. I was just wondering if this might do both jobs but will perhaps look for something 2nd hand instead... Cheers.

sunnybob":1s7nw6jy said:
But it is also a piece of cake for any woodworker to make a noise reducing cabinet for it. Mine is in a 22 mm mdf cabinet with an old blanket on the inside, its easy to talk normally when it is running.

Presumably it hasn't overheated as yet. How long has it been in your cabinet?

ScaredyCat":99kk2o89 said:
sunnybob":99kk2o89 said:
But it is also a piece of cake for any woodworker to make a noise reducing cabinet for it. Mine is in a 22 mm mdf cabinet with an old blanket on the inside, its easy to talk normally when it is running.

Presumably it hasn't overheated as yet. How long has it been in your cabinet?

I think it was Bob who pointed out there's a continual supply of air at workshop temperature to keep it cool. I built a cabinet following his model (but 18mm mdf) that vents freely outside, and it works a treat - though I only aver run it for maybe 10 mins max at a time. I lined mine with self-adhesive sound/ heat insulator and it works well. I got the mdf cut to exact size at B&Q (including for the baffle to vent) for about £30 and just had to screw it together.

ps I have two lvhp extractors and one hvlp extractor in the garage, but still pick up shavings by brush/ hand and then use the hvlp to clear the rest of them up.

as Chris said. people dont understand that what cools the motor is the air being pulled from the workshop. I have a set of blanket lined sound baffles on the air outlet from the box, the air coming back into the shop is a gentle warm breeze.
Mine runs for as long as I want it to. possibly not continuous hours, but i have never felt the need to let it cool down. And I need to remind you that I am now getting into real summer. With the garage door up the air temp in the workshop this week is 30c (I'm working in swimming shorts only). In another month that will be 35c and by mid august around 40c. Thats OUTSIDE air temp, and that vacuum has now been going for all 4 years of my woodworking career.

I had to empty the dust box again today under the cyclone. I am boggled by the amount of space that thicknesser chips take up.

Latest posts

Back