Scrap wood coasters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernienufc

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to use left over wood from my money boxes i decided to try my hand at an inlay.
It was a lot harder than i thought and there is a lot more to take into consideration than i expected, so for my first attempt i am pleased :lol: only 5 more to go...........

coaster.jpg

Attachments

• coaster.jpg
    coaster.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,088
Looks good though. Did you cut it at an angle? I've never tried doing any inlays but have been contemplating having a go with polymer clay after seeing an example of SG's forum.

Yes i did cut them at an angle, in fact it was at 5 degrees according to my scale on the saw.
What i have found is at my skill level i have a high degree of non-repeatability, i was unable to make 4 very close enough to be happy. I threw away 3 as they broke or were just very poor. But most of all i have enjoyed yet another aspect as to what can be done, it makes you appreciate even more some of the work you see people making.
It was a good learning exercise and i did learn a lot.....in that i will need a hell of a lot more wood for practise.
I have put them on a form to sell for a couple of quid for fun that it will raise for my charity which makes it even more worthwhile to me.
So after a couple of hours practise here is how it ended for today, back to work tomorrow :cry:

coasters.jpg

Attachments

• coasters.jpg
    coasters.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,042
Baldhead":322kwet3 said:
That's very good, are you doing different pets? I'd like to see them all when your finished.

Baldhead

Hi
I probably will not do any other pets as these were to learn how inlay works and i had some scrap wood left over to try.
My goal is to be able to make a bread/cheese board with a greyhound inlay thats good enough to put on the greyhound auction.
At the moment my main worry is that if have to join pieces together to make a big enough board whether i can do that yet or not :lol:
Cheers

Well done they look great, and a good way to use up scraps left over .

A lot of folk on the turning section use all kinds of fillers in their work some of it may be small cracks and is usually just dust from what they have sanded .
Others fill large voids with all sorts of things . Two part epoxy filler being one of them . The general consensus being to leave the filling raised and sand to a finish
and Bob's your uncle .

Thanks for showing.

Latest posts

Back