Scottish Woodcraft Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbirch

Established Member
Reaction score
Paid a visit there today. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Not too many tool or machinery stands, compared with previous shows at SECC. I counted at least three advertised participants who didn`t appear to be there.
Not much to detain you for long IMHO
(unless you were a woodturner :D )
Stuart Mortimer gave a series of masterclasses, which were great - a very entertaining chap and an excellent teacher.
It was also good to see various turning clubs represented.

Ian

Hi
Must agree with Ian it was a little disapointing, the choice of
lathes on offer where either record or charnwood, would liked to have
seen more (still I did come away with a nova 1624). Robert Sorby put on
a good show and I was so impressed with the new ultima I bought the company LOL, ok just the tool. Stuart Mortimer classes where fantastic.
Can only hope Nelton see this show as worth while and build upon it for
next year.
Keith

Ditto - very sparse exhibits and even sparser attendance. Got what I think were some bargains from Lanark Saw Services "clearance", and enjoyed the demos, but beyond that, not much.

Did rather fancy the chainsaw mill that Strathclyde turners had apparently got using Heritage Lottery money. Now where's my application form for a similar grant ....... :) ?

Hi,

This was my 1st ever wood show and I loved it all.

Spent the 1st 40mins or so pyroing with Lisa Raby (Pyroraby). Absolutely loved it, kids made pyrod key rings and Lisa was so welcoming and patient. Had a great chat with her and definately considering some pyro work in the future.

Stuart Mortimer was excellent, watched his demo making a hollow, spiral form and really enjoyed it.

Some great wood stands too, £125 later and I've got some beautiful pieces of wood, poplar burr slab that came from the Grassmarket in Edinburgh, Elm burr slab, Walnut slab and 2 realy long spindle blanks in Sycamore.

Bought a whole pile of clock mechanisms, hands, faces etc from a really nice guy too.

Enjoyed the Robert Sorby stand very much, £155 later I was happy with a couple of new tools and a sharpening jig (which I have tried and made a total A**SE UP of my bowl gouge :cry: Oh well, must try harder.)

Enjoyed my bacon and sausage rolls too, yum yum.

Hope the do it again next year although i'll need a bank loan next time I think.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Lee.

To be fair, yes, there was some good timber there - just that I'm pretty well stocked for wood at the moment :evil: .
Bullwood from Glasgow looked impressive, processing arborist and other "unwanted" timber. Shame they are so far south!

Agree with Lee - but, again, it was my first show, and although not big and not a large attendance I found the whole thing very enjoyable.

Last of the big spenders - bought a lovely slim parting tool.

Enjoyed the demonstrations, chats with stand reps. and gained a good deal of advice etc

Dave

Love to read the write ups here on the forum, as give good insight into what people want. Having our own show here in Ireland in November, but would love to hear anyone's comments on what makes a good show - what you enjoy at them, and what you really would like to see - any comments, please pm me, as really want to give back, a good show to our customers.

Many thanks

Stan

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. For a first attempt by a new promoter it was very worthwhile.......easier and cheaper to get to than the Glasgow show. You cannot expect them to get it 100% right first time.

As for lack of exhibits one standholder told me two or three had dropped out at the last minute and one Glasgow shop - which had a big stand at the Glasgow show - refused to attend!!

There were lots of plusses. Okay there was plenty for the turners but there was also stickmaking, carving, pyrography, finihing and traditional crafts demonstrations. It was great to talk to the turners from all the turning clubs to swap advice.. The highlight was Stuart Mortimer's turning demonstration. He made it all look so easy! But his tips and explanations were first class.

I had gone with the intention of buying a ProEdge but I was so impressed with the new Ultima hollowing tool on the Sorby stand that I bought one of those instead. I really like the idea of the fine adjustment wheel. Anyway, the ProEdge will have to wait for Harrogate in November.

I really hope the promoter is encouraged to put on another show.

I paid a visit to the exhibition too. It was rather small, but I enjoyed it. I suppose it could surprise people if they expected that hall to be full or it to be as big as the Glasgow one. I hear that they were giving extra space to some of the stall holders to try and pad it out, probably due to the aforementioned cancellations. If it wasn't for those partitions at either end that aircraft hanger of a hall would have looked empty. Some nice people there, had a good blether and I loaded up with some tools (and a bit of wood that was too good to miss). Well worth a nosey. The Charnwood salesman was really nice. I hope he did well.

Sadly some of the people there are clearly not going to be coming back to the next one (one person there was selling their stock of tools to get out of the business and another made it clear it wasn't worth their while), so I hope the organisers manage to find someone else to fill all the slots and build it up into a bigger event. It was about £85 per square feet. Quite a thought when you think of those big Record and Charnwood areas. Cheaper than the now dead Glasgow event (the stall holders I spoke to said the Glasgow event was overpriced and that was partly what killed it), but it must be tough for the salesmen to make up for those costs. I was told about 500 people attended.

There was also some good craftsmen there showing their finished wares for sale, had a good chat about various things, but unfortunately it was mostly turners and people who make these things that were attending the show (or their families in tow), rather than people looking to buy them. They had great stuff, were nice people and it's a shame not to see them getting the sales they deserved. The fellow who had the market-style tool stall was doing great by the look of things. Constant crowds there. All manner of bits and bobs people never new they needed or wanted until then. Hard to tear myself away from a good selection of tools.

I enjoyed the browse at the antique tools too. I was sorely tempted at getting some, even just to collect and admire them. If it wasn't for me blowing the money on other things at the event I'd have gone for it.

It is nice to see the faces behind the names and websites. I hope this event grows. We've not much else now.

Edit: Also good that there was free and easy parking at this event! A big plus.

Hi All
Glad you all seemed to enjoy the show you have to remember it was the first hopefully it will go ahead again.
The more positive replies the better this way it encourages others to bite the bullet. :)

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for being so kind on Saturday and let me have a go with the pyroing.

I am definately considering the Peter Child unit you where using. Have checked it out online and despite the expense it does appear to be the best unit.

Aw the best,

Lee.

Hi Lee
Thats no problem thats what im there for glad you enjoyed it.
Hope to see you again sometime
Lisa

Back