Scheppach DMT 175?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisCA

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone used this lathe? There's one for sale locally for cheap (95€). I am going to look at it tonight or tomorrow. I have an old Coronet Major lathe at the moment, I am happy with the lathe, high quality whereas the scheppach brand is only mediocre (the model looks solid enough from pictures though). But this lathe has two important things my current lathe lacks:

-Headstock clearnace is massive on this lathe, my current lathe is limiting me, I want to turn an entire stool seat on the lathe but I cannot.

-5 speeds, going down to 100rpm, that is excellent, my current lathe even with the retrofitted 1400rpm motor is too fast most of the time.

So any opinions on this lathe? If I got it I'd sell the Coronet, probably with the original motor put back on, i paid 320€ for the Coronet IIRC.

OK 100rpm is more like 600rpm. Still better than what I get on this one. It's too bad it's not 100rpm really, I'd love to get down to those speeds so I can do "skärsvarvning", dunno what it's called in english, but basically you angle the tool much more so it's a slicing motion more than a scrubbing motion.

Well I got it, getting it later this weekend. Had half a dozen turning chisels that looked to be good quality (not that I can judge), jacobs chuck and for some reason a 3-jaw chuck and other stuff. Lathe worked and motor was quiet and nice, single phase.

DennisCA":3vyvthw4 said:
OK 100rpm is more like 600rpm. Still better than what I get on this one. It's too bad it's not 100rpm really, I'd love to get down to those speeds so I can do "skärsvarvning", dunno what it's called in english, but basically you angle the tool much more so it's a slicing motion more than a scrubbing motion.

Sheer scraping?

I dunno, googling it seems to say "shear scraping" leaves a rough finish, while the point of "skärsvarvning" is that it leaves a finish requiring little to no sanding afterwards. This guy demonstrates the technique, perhaps it's "shear cutting" in english:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esul3DOI5pw

OK got the lathe home.

33514027723_ee35fdf140_b.jpg

33514032783_44c7655d8a_b.jpg

Basket of tools
33514038043_90ccbb2d09_b.jpg

Chuck but no chuck key that I can find.
33940114610_6c8776a9b4_b.jpg

Says made in west germany on some:
34324184755_b1aa1f1b2e_b.jpg

And some other brand on others:
34166128792_950bc2c507_b.jpg

Never used one but would be cautious using that one without some kind of cover / guard over those belt and pulleys .

Back