Sawdust candles / airfreshener advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keato

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay after searching everywhere and only finding essentially a 'fire starter' instructions I thought I'd ask on here as I know everyone is so helpful :)

Quite recently I bought a pillar drill so I've been making sawdust of a bigger kind compared to the scroll saw so I've been saving it as its large shavings (Forstner bit holes). However I've saved a bunch of Palo Santo sawdust from when I was working it on the scroll saw. So very fine sawdust. The wood itself smells devine but the sawdust is even stronger. Very very awesome.

Ive tried making a tea light candle with it (a few attempts) with a different dust so not to waste the Palo Santo by mixing it with wax I bought to make candles with. The result was a bad dust to wax ratio and a metal tea light tin on Fire :S

Has anyone had luck with making tea light candles with the very fine sawdust from a scroll saw or even the thicker sawdust from a pillar drill?

Also, I really want my car to smell of it too. I've tried cutting up a pair of old jeans and using bondaweb to bond it together at all the sides, slipping in a little sawdust then sealing it up thinking maybe the smell would come through the denim but nope.

Really hoping someone has some advice :)

Thanks,
Keato

think your playing with fire there mate.... sawdust /wax ...flame hmmm wax melts to burn, sawdust, however fine just burns...solution buy tights or stockings put shavings in tie up throw in back of car ....even more insane cut open tea bag bin the tea replace with saw dust seal bag with sellotape..... other brands available good luck

Peter its so wet here that nothing will burn! lol gales/flooding almost like summer lol

Lol,

Okay I'll try some of those ideas. I've seen the tin one before though I wasn't really wanting to burn the sawdust, rather infuse it's smell in the house/car somehow.

Also, how did you know my closest fire station is Barrhead Peter?

Maybe you could infuse the wax with the aroma of the sawdust. Just like making a stewed cup of tea. Melt the wax at a steady low heat and brew it with the saw dust in2/3 wax to 1/3 sawdust/shavings (probably need a couple of hours) and then strain and really squeeze the shavings to extract residual oil and then pour the wax into moulds.

Hi Jamie,
Your mum taught you well,not accepting a lift home from strangers.I used to live in Uplawmoor and then moved to Kilmarnock.It was not long after your mum bought you the Excalibur that I met you in Reid Timber. I was going home that day via Uplawmoor to visit a friend and offered you a lift but you had a train ticket.Are you now any the wiser????

Peter

I

Latest posts

Back