Saw making Part IV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
part 5 Spine and

http://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspot.d ... art-v.html

part 6 Screws are online

http://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspot.d ... eil-6.html

IMG_0062.JPG

I think the reader gets an idea, how many steps there are to make until the saw is ready.

Cheers
Pedder

The fact that you attain such precise, regular and blemish free results whilst using so much handwork is extremely impressive.

I see you use milled backs, could you comment on the merits of this method vs folding? I have only ever worked with folded saws so I am not sure how much of a difference it makes.

Biliphuster":2y8rwguv said:
I see you use milled backs, could you comment on the merits of this method vs folding? I have only ever worked with folded saws so I am not sure how much of a difference it makes.

I don't believe that there is a lot of difference in use. The folded back is traditional and it's proved for many decades. The milled spines don't have this longtime reputation. On the other hand, there are very reliable metal glues available that should serve for decades as well. And if somewhere down the road a glue joint will become loose, it would be a quick thing to reglue the blade. Never experienced that nor heard about such an issue from other makers so far.

In our case the milled spine is a must as long as we insert the spines of our saws flush to the top and as long the spines will be shaped ovally.

Klaus

Biliphuster":2jdwcn1f said:
I see you use milled backs, could you comment on the merits of this method vs folding?

When we started, I dreamed of foldes spines, too. I loved the look of them. But I've tried to fold a spine like Leif @ norsewoddsmith has done in his tutorial, but I didn't succeed. I discussed the issue with Mike Wenzloff a few years ago and he told me that he has to anneal the brass a few times in the process. (So I'd need a bigger shop with an oven. Hmm will discuss that with my wife.)

But Klaus was able to make the sloted spines. So we uesd the slotted ones. On our first saws we even tried to copy the look of a folded spine. But then Klaus created the oval spine wich is flush to the cheeks and we both love the look. It has become our most outstanding makers mark since than. That design wouldn't work with folded spines.

I don't know, if slotted or folded spines are better. Slotted spines are made at least for 40 years now bei Independent Saw (later bought by Lie-Nielsen) and ist now the standard of many modern saw maker. I've never heard or read of a failed slotted spine. I do work with a lot of failed folded spines on old saws, though. Not sure if it is a problem of folding or a problem of age and misuse.
Yeah, it is a lot of concentrated handwork. I just thought of change the motto - made with big love and a lot of patience.

Cheers
Pedder

Folded backs do seem to be on the rise again. Bad axe makes them folded. Gramercy does. Thos. Flinn of course always did. And now you can get the folded backs from TGIAG too.

I have made them with a big hammer on an anvil which works perfectly allright but creates a lot of dents, so they need quite a bit of filing and sanding. I also used a big ass hydraulic press which makes for a much neater result. In both cases I didn't need to anneal. I do get some surface cracking but that only goes skin deep. I do have acces to a sheet metal brake, which helps a lot for bending the first 90 degrees.

Aargh, those damned Americans!

I can see how my primitive method isn't suitable for commercial use. But a metal working shop with a big brake and a hydraulic press should be able to do it a lot quicker. The art is then finding such a shop, willing to do it for a reasonable price.

Back