Saw info required? Good temper?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be William Hunt & Sons.The Brades Ltd.

See this 1941 Brades catalogue (page 5) which shows the smiley face trade mark. I wonder if the BST etched on the saw might be 'Brades Skelton & Tyzack Ltd', formed by merger in 1962 according to Spear & Jackson's family tree.

Mike.S":2oa0xkke said:

See this 1941 Brades catalogue (page 5) which shows the smiley face trade mark. I wonder if the BST etched on the saw might be 'Brades Skelton & Tyzack Ltd', formed by merger in 1962 according to Spear & Jackson's family tree.

Thanks Mike,
Your a star, I was curious about the maker as I've never seen nor heard about it.
I'll know more of their quality later when I have a cut. Need to order some files where's the best place for them,
I figured that it's bet to practise on some cheap saws before I take the plunge and buy Adria saws ect.

Cheers
TT

tobytools":2pfy1ns5 said:
Mike.S":2pfy1ns5 said:

Thanks Mike,
Your a star, I was curious about the maker as I've never seen nor heard about it.
I'll know more of their quality later when I have a cut. Need to order some files where's the best place for them,
I figured that it's bet to practise on some cheap saws before I take the plunge and buy Adria saws ect.

Cheers
TT
It's very likely that they will be very good quality. That trio was standard issue with C&G courses for a long time. Mine were identical but a different brand "Sanderson & Kaiser" but I think they all came from the same makers one way or another.
NB Adria etc saws are no better but just look nicer. You pay a lot for the cosmetics.

£10 for 3 saws. You might be very hard pressed to buy the steel to make your own saws at that price!

tobytools":30wzhnjd said:
Need to order some files where's the best place for them,

I bought my files from Dieter Schmid (fine-tools) and Matthew at Workshop Heaven. Seem fine, but I've only sharpened two saws so far - using the Schmid (Vallorbe manufactured IIRC) files - so my experience is v. limited. My box of 'saws to be fettled' is large but other priorities preclude me paying the attention they're due :(

Thanks for all the responses.
Cosmetics are a weak spot of mine :)
Then tenon saw I'll practise sharpening on. its the panal saw I wanted.
Also another weak spot for me is sets lol.. I'm not alone in this I know.
Project soon will be a saw til.
Will speak to Mathew soon and ask for files
Thanks
TT

tobytools":3c57syca said:

Also another weak spot for me is sets lol..
TT

Hello,

Neither are weak spots, Toby! Since when are aesthetic discernment and an ordered mind weak points in a craftsman?
I'll start disliking fine tools in sets the day I start serving tea in cups and mismatched saucers, and justifying drinking from old bean tins, because actually, it works don't it. We need to stand strong against eclecticism! (hammer)

Mike.

woodbrains":39cligjk said:
tobytools":39cligjk said:

Also another weak spot for me is sets lol..
TT

Hello,

Neither are weak spots, Toby! Since when are aesthetic discernment and an ordered mind weak points in a craftsman?
I'll start disliking fine tools in sets the day I start serving tea in cups and mismatched saucers, and justifying drinking from old bean tins, because actually, it works don't it. We need to stand strong against eclecticism! (hammer)

Mike.
I don't think we have any cup and saucers in our house - except some given us by an old aunty which we never use. It's all mugs, and everyone different!
We don't drink from old bean tins like Mike though. I suppose one might if desperate.

Jacob":1vdyjtl9 said:
I don't think we have any cup and saucers in our house - except some given us by an old aunty which we never use. It's all mugs, and everyone different!

Blimey, you have no class, Jacob. A cup and saucer every time for me.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back on topic -
The saws are very blunt... And who ever sharpend them last didn't have a clue, sending saws off to be sorted by a doctor.

TT

tobytools":25zlsdq4 said:
Back on topic -
The saws are very blunt... And who ever sharpend them last didn't have a clue, sending saws off to be sorted by a doctor.

TT

Learn to do it yourself - filing a saw is about as hard (or easy) as planing wood accurately flat. And there's lots of good info out there.

BugBear

bugbear":3tiz3zac said:
tobytools":3tiz3zac said:
Back on topic -

TT

Learn to do it yourself - filing a saw is about as hard (or easy) as planing wood accurately flat. And there's lots of good info out there.

BugBear

I've sharpened a saw before but that was a small dt saw.
The teeth on the saws in question would benefit from a good sort out as I mentioned they are in bad shape from previous owners attempts at the craft.
I will sharpen them in future but know it will be less stressful for me if I have a saw that isn't in terriable shape. ie, have someome who knows what they are doing do it first then I follow suite.

Up until now I've used hardpoint saws like the irwins jack saw. These are my only panal saws.
I have enough tenon saws tho :)
I have a book by Ron hock about sharpening and that explains the saw side of it all, some bed time reading is in order.
Thanks

TT

Back