Saw a motorcycle get lifted today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flh801978

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'd taken my daughter to the doctors this morning and was sat in car browsing a tool catalogue when in front of me about 50 yrds away a bright yellow transit van pulled up behind a motorbike and 2 lads jumped out and manhandled said bike into van.
I shot into action with my camera and took a few photos of van with reg and of them as they pulled up near me the scrotes looked at me and the passenger got out to give me a pasting
anyhow he looked and i shouted " I got you" and he jumped in and shot off
I rang the police and they within an hour got the lads but sadly bike had gone out of the van

Just shows if you dont lock your bike to something it will go
In hidesight i should have followed van and then called police

flh801978":2z0svuz5 said:
I'd taken my daughter to the doctors this morning and was sat in car browsing a tool catalogue when in front of me about 50 yrds away a bright yellow transit van pulled up behind a motorbike and 2 lads jumped out and manhandled said bike into van.
I shot into action with my camera and took a few photos of van with reg and of them as they pulled up near me the scrotes looked at me and the passenger got out to give me a pasting
anyhow he looked and i shouted " I got you" and he jumped in and shot off
I rang the police and they within an hour got the lads but sadly bike had gone out of the van

Just shows if you dont lock your bike to something it will go
In hidesight i should have followed van and then called police

You're in a minority - most folk probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid not taken a picture\reg nor rung Plod. So kudos for that.

If it ain't locked to a Naval warship these days, it'll get nicked.

No, you should NOT have followed the van.
all they had to do was reverse into you and smash your car. Bet that van was stolen or at the very least had no insurance. you would have to pay your own repairs.
And then they could have jumped out the van, attacked you and steal the camera.

Its a sad fact but its true.
you did as much as would be reasonable, and more than most people would.

Dibs-h":2mip6hey said:
You're in a minority - most folk probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid not taken a picture\reg nor rung Plod. So kudos for that.

Or stood by and filmed it on their phone to sell to the daily fail....

Good man.

Unfortunately, the media seems to have spun this yarn that everyone is a good for nothing self centred retard. I generally find this is untrue. The majority of people I know are good, honest and public spirited.

Well done that man.
One of the penalties of having a dash cam but no mobile phone, is being able to film an incident but not able to contact the police.

I recall a similar incident myself at a famous surfing beach where a camper van was raided (I suppose the surfers were on the waves) and obviously money was being stolen from the surfers clothing. I had great difficulty getting the Australian police to follow up the car registration of the thief's car and later was told it was using false number plates as the numbers were not registered.
So those motor cycle scrots were not very bright using a registered number plate!

devonwoody":3vln8z8e said:
I recall a similar incident myself at a famous surfing beach where a camper van was raided (I suppose the surfers were on the waves) and obviously money was being stolen from the surfers clothing. I had great difficulty getting the Australian police to follow up the car registration of the thief's car and later was told it was using false number plates as the numbers were not registered.
So those motor cycle scrots were not very bright using a registered number plate!

They would be more likely to get caught using false plates these days. Best bet for thieves these days is to use a legit van, wear hi-vis and look like they are meant to be doing whatever they are doing.

The police contacted me yesterday later on to say they had 3 incustody but no bike found presumably as they saw me filming them they must have dumped it pronto
the lads were known to police and one just out of her maj's care

flh801978":1p1140b3 said:
The police contacted me yesterday later on to say they had 3 incustody but no bike found presumably as they saw me filming them they must have dumped it pronto
the lads were known to police and one just out of her maj's care
And they'll get a smack on the wrist and told not to be such naughty boys again (and again, and again).

Good for you for doing what you did.

Rorschach":3pwhmqt7 said:
devonwoody":3pwhmqt7 said:

They would be more likely to get caught using false plates these days. Best bet for thieves these days is to use a legit van, wear hi-vis and look like they are meant to be doing whatever they are doing.

Yeah I see what you mean. Must use other peoples number plates but I believe plates have special qualities these days to stop that I think.

They're unlikely to get caught if they're using a false plate so long as it is the same as one on an identical, legally registered vehicle they're unlikely to get caught for that alone. I got a parking ticket from Lewes East Sussex, there was no doubt whatsoever about the reg. no. of the car, but fortunately I could prove my car had been in a bank car park in Truro for the whole day.

Curiously enough - as an afterthought - I'd have thought the local police would have checked out my car, but they didn't. Mine could have been the clone.

The problem is finding a suitable vehicle to clone that won't arouse suspicion. As I said every police car has ANPR cameras as well as a lot of highways. If you are in Cornwall and clone a van from somerset and both vans get pinged less than 2 hours apart then the system will flag it up.

stuartpaul":3h09hjtr said:
And they'll get a smack on the wrist and told not to be such naughty boys again (and again, and again).

I'm beginning to think\believe that as time goes on, as long as

- no one dies or suffers physical\psycholigical life changing injuries
- the victim isn't the State or a Commercial (large) entity
- doesn't create Public outrage

i.e. the victims are Joe Public - criminals will just get a slap on the wrist and nothing more.

[start of sarcasm] Joe Public is usually insured after all and things can be replaced can't they? [end of sarcasm]

I suppose we could start a whole new (sub) forum on views on law and order and such.

Back