Sandpaper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slidgeman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just made myself a 9" bench disc sander. Where does everyone buy their sandpaper? Are discs better, or I dont mind buying sheets or rolls and cutting them to size, whether they are glued or velcro.

Thanx.

Hi,

I thought someone out there would know a good supplier of sandpaper. Anyway, I have scoured the internet and done a little research, but have a simple question I'm hoping someone can help me with. Would aluminium oxide D weight paper sheets, plain backing, be ok to cut to desired size and be stuck to my sanding disc?

Thanx.

Seeing as no one seems to be able to offer advice I guess your only route now is to forge ahead with your chosen sandpaper types and take it from there.

If you felt inclined you could report back with your findings......................then you will be the go to guy for SP advice. 8)

David

You need to be sure that whatever you buy is intended for machine use. Cheap sandpaper is a false economy as it won't last long nor do a good job whilst it does last.

I've used these suppliers, their prices are VAT inclusive and shipping is free on orders over £20, and their abrasives are good.

http://www.abrasivesplus.com/buy/230mm-self-adhesive-sanding-discs_91.htm

If you search for 230mm you may get more results than looking for 9".

Don't no whether it will be any good for your application, but I have just started using Rhyno Grip abrasive supplied by Richard Findlay of the Turners Workshop. For use on the lathe I have found it to be exceptional and I am very pleased with the results. It's not cheap but super quality.

Vic

BND Abrasives would be another choice. I've recently received an order for drum sander loadings. Not a cheap order (if anyone would like some 120grit, I have 4x50m rolls), but less than half what Axi would charge. Very helpful folk there.

Cheers,
Adam

Back