Sanding Strips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
when you tear off your sanding strips and use them do you

A) bin them once done...seems wasteful
B) write the grit size on them
C) have some small bins with the size on them

simple question ..but hopefully i will get a consensus of best approach
I tear them off , put them down and grab the next size
look at the pile and think i have just wasted pennies as cant work out what is what

Steve

I write the grit size on the back and use them until I feel they are less effective than they should be. Cheapo stuff is use once then chuck it. The rhino-grip stuff from Richard I use a few times

I use the little Velcro discs, all nicely organised in a tray with dividers.... Knocked it over the other day you think I could tell them apart (homer) :evil:

I keep my Velcro discs in their individual bags till I use them. Then I label the bag with the grit. I rarely re-use sanding discs because after power sanding they really are knackered.

Woodmonkey":34yos60v said:
I use the little Velcro discs, all nicely organised in a tray with dividers.... Knocked it over the other day you think I could tell them apart (homer) :evil:
That sounds like the Hope system, I had to write on the back of them to..... though Bob's keeping them in bags sounds easier.

I use a strip of wood with notches cut into it on the table saw, and magnets glued into recesses underneath, and leave it on the lathe or control box within easy reach. Sanding strips are just placed into the notches running in ascending or decending grit size and replaced after use and the next one along used next etc

The supply of sanding strips are kept in the common plastic screw tray arrangements, labelled up by grit size, as are the velcro sanding rounds for power sanding.

Cheers, Paul

paulm":2qfex40s said:
I use a strip of wood with notches cut into it on the table saw, and magnets glued into recesses underneath, and leave it on the lathe or control box within easy reach. Sanding strips are just placed into the notches running in ascending or decending grit size and replaced after use and the next one along used next etc

The supply of sanding strips are kept in the common plastic screw tray arrangements, labelled up by grit size, as are the velcro sanding rounds for power sanding.

Cheers, Paul
Thats very neat and well organised but what are 'the common plastic screw tray arrangements' ?

I have a box which takes the full sheets of paper on the wall next to the lathe. I only cut one sheet at a time and all the paper goes back in its respective grit shelf.

I have a filing cabinet in my shed and one draw is totally dedicated to sanding paper that I have used. It is all ways full to brimming and most of the stuff in there is totally useless but bringing myself to binning it I always find to be traumatic.

I need to get myself organised on this one like some of the ideas already put forward.

Vic

Random Orbital Bob":32p6kzbl said:
he means like a screwfix type box of assorted screw sizes, each in a little Perspex box.

Yep, that's it, had a blank moment and couldn't figure out how to describe it, lol. :)

Cheers, Paul

paulm":35xypfr6 said:

Cheers, Paul

perfect

i like that idea lots

Steve

Hmmmm my "I put them in a pile at the end of my bench so that I can knock them on the floor later" doesn't seem so organised now!!
I love the simple idea of the notched piece of wood with magnets. Thanks (and thanks ofr the question that prompted the sharing of this neat idea).
Martin

I do similar to Paulm. For my hand sanding I buy individual boxes which contain a long roll of abrasive which is maybe 2.5cm wide. These have the grit printed on the back every 20cm or so so I tear off about 20cm and use that, storing it between uses in a wooden block that has grooves cut into it with the band saw. Each groove holds one strip.
For velcro backed disks - I have a strip of the furry velco glued and screwed to the roof beam above my head so it's easily accessible and out of the way. These have the grit printed on but not regularly so I have to sometimes write it on

This is my rack I was talking about. My sanding squares for the simon hope sander are in bags in a small draw with the sander.

018_zpsb8ff5094.jpg

Latest posts

Back