Sanding and dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinthree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
As iv posted on other threads . I'm about to re model my workshop , it's 11ft x 38ft
Iv sorted out what dust extractor I'm getting (fox f50-843) thanks to the dust extractor thread I started, but now iv run into an issue regarding sanding. I mainly produce tables and have always used a belt sander and orbital sander to finish the tops once glued but am thinking that once iv got all my machines hooked up to extraction ducting it's going to make the whole point useless if fill the place with dust from sanding.
So what's the best option? Should I duct up a hood above my sanding area? Baring in mind tables can be 7ft long so would need to be a fair size hood. Should I seal off a separate sanding room ? But at the cost of extra workshop space.
Or should I look at a different sanding machine? I know that hooking the belt sander up to a duct pipe will get rid of some of the dust but not all of it I imagine?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Use abranet on the random orbital sander, hooked up to a vacuum cleaner type extractor (eg the lidl one when it comes up on offer) and you will capture the majority of dust at source.

I don't know the fox extractor- it may be suitable.

If you want good dust extraction from a sander you need to get a Festool machine (not cheap but awesome to use), I was amazed by how good the extraction was on my Rotex RO125. The machine that everyone seems to love is the Rotex RO150.

I agree with previous comments on a Festool Rotex 125 along with a Festool dust extractor. Almost zero dust. Although they are more expensive this will be more than offset by not having to construct a dedicated sanding area.

marcros":3qlg45bq said:
Use abranet on the random orbital sander, hooked up to a vacuum cleaner type extractor (eg the lidl one when it comes up on offer) and you will capture the majority of dust at source.

I don't know the fox extractor- it may be suitable.

I do exactly the same, always amazes me how little dust escapes.
Abranet is wonderful stuff

I use abranet at work with little henry sucking away, even he can collect the majority of dust. No need for expensive extractors, just good abrasives.

Thanks for the great advice guys :)
I'll definitely try the abranet, however the sanders are a little out if my price range at this time but something I will invest in in the near future, which orbital sanders at a lower price range would you recommend? I'm thinking I'll need quite a late disk diameter for tabletops

I have the Erbauer one from screwfix, it's 150mm. It's brilliant for the price and has a 3 year warranty.

I use it for sanding walls being a decorator by day. It's not too heavy really, if you want lightweight you'd need a Mirka, as they have a separate transformer so the sander itself can be lighter.

Henry Hoover is your friend if you're on a budget. You can get good second hand ones on www.gumtree.com for around £45. Stick the Hepa Filters in it and it picks up dust teeny tiny micron size. I love 'em so much I have 3.....and you'll still have change against buying a Festool.

(Note: I love Festool gear and have a few of their machines......but the Henry is brilliant value)

Robinthree":3f3heoqv said:
Thanks for the great advice guys :)
I'll definitely try the abranet, however the sanders are a little out if my price range at this time but something I will invest in in the near future, which orbital sanders at a lower price range would you recommend? I'm thinking I'll need quite a late disk diameter for tabletops

If your sander has that Velcro stuff on the plate abranet works fine
My sanders are Aldi ones and them and abranet do the job

Back