Sam Maloof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His stuff was great but I think Philly let me have a 'borrow' :wink: of a DVD with Sam using a bandsaw and other power tools in his 'shop...scared the living cr@p out of me :shock: - Rob

Very sad news.
He was a great influence on my design and working style when I was at college. I do still cut free form on a bandsaw in his fashion although not with witnesses.

I am working on a design for a set of Maloof style library steps for myself which I will probably make this summer.

Hi,

Its sad news indeed, he was an artist, I think I will dig out his book and read tonight.

Pete

I stole his backsplat design for my dining chairs. Whilst I would change the way I made the chairs if I were to repeat them, there is nothing about the backsplats that I would change. They are perfect. They make my dining chairs the most comfortable dining chairs in the world! :)
S

Truly inspirational woodworker, his influence will never be forgotten

a great man who will ber missed, had a great dry soh and will be remembered by many. I am greatly inspired by the mans work and attitude to life in general, my best wishes go to his remaining wife, Beverly and kids.

HS , not quite in mourning for a very inspiring person to have walked this road of life.

I love Sam Maloof's work, particularly his famous rocking chairs, and am sorry to hear that he has died.

However, the bloke lived until he was 93 still doing what he loved to do and with his faculties apparantly undimmed. He seems to have passed away peacefully surrounded by his family without enduring a long illness.

I for one find this thought rather uplifting.

Cheers
Brad

I must agree Brad, that thought crossed my mind. What an admirable (enviable?) life.

Great work from a great craftsman. And I have to agree with Brad, if I get even one comment from someone I've never met after I've curled up my toes then I will have achieved something, Sam has tributes pouring in left, right and centre, and rightfully so, his work is inspirational.

I started a thread in general woodworking as I hadnt seen this one. I have deleted that one. Sad news but a good innings and some excellent work along the way.

Jon

Back