Rutlands 3" and 4" Castors 'On Offer'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Got one of their spams this morning. Apparently their 3" castoring wheels are down from a whopping £51 to £19.99. I'll atempt to give them the benefit of the doubt... Does anyone own these wheels? Are they any better than the Axminster rubber variety which are cheaper then Rutlands sale price? I've used the Axi ones and whilst they could be improves, they're fine for what I'm using them for. Tho I do need to make a new base for the P/T and I'd like that to be as rock solid as possible when the wheels are locked.

Any opinions? I'm eager to give Rutlands some of my money, can't you tell? ;)

I'd have to wonder the quality of the wheels if they are happy to reduce that much - that tells me either they were overpriced to begin with, or they are rubbish and not selling and they are shifting stock, or using as a loss-leader. Eitehr way, i'd be wary.

wizer":32e2sbr6 said:
Got one of their spams this morning. Apparently their 3" castoring wheels are down from a whopping £51 to £19.99. I'll atempt to give them the benefit of the doubt... Does anyone own these wheels? Are they any better than the Axminster rubber variety which are cheaper then Rutlands sale price? I've used the Axi ones and whilst they could be improves, they're fine for what I'm using them for. Tho I do need to make a new base for the P/T and I'd like that to be as rock solid as possible when the wheels are locked.

Any opinions? I'm eager to give Rutlands some of my money, can't you tell? ;)

is that 19.99 for one :shock:

i buy my castoring wheels from toolstation who are a lot cheaper than that

The only thing that's making my consider is that Rutlands actually state that the wheels lock in both swivel and rotation. Axi don't comment on that and all my bases tend to 'give' a little when pushed, whilst locked. i.e if I am re-sawing on the bandsaw, the cabinet will move as I push ever-so slightly. It makes no bother, particularly. But for the P/T I'd prefer it to be rock solid. With Delivery, they work out £6.70 each. So still quite a bit more than the Axi alternative.

Good point, the axi castors I got only lock the travel of the wheel and not the swivel - my router table wobbles a little in use because of it.

ByronBlack":1l1n1axg said:
Good point, the axi castors I got only lock the travel of the wheel and not the swivel - my router table wobbles a little in use because of it.

I bought a set of Axy's 4" ones a couple of weeks ago, they lock both the wheel and the swivel as did the 10 year old ones they replaced. Bloody good value at around a fiver each - I have never found anywhere that sells them for anywhere near as cheap.

ive got these ones on my saw table, drill stand, bandsaw etc

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hardwar ... 036/p97833

they only lock the wheel not the swivel , but i find that having two fixed direction castors and two swivels on each machine means that there is very little wobble (tho the downside is a larger turning circle) and at £3.40 ea you cant really go wrong

they do rubber as well - but ive never seen much advantage in having rubber tyres on the castor

WellsWood":hpb5e9lh said:
ByronBlack":hpb5e9lh said:

I bought a set of Axy's 4" ones a couple of weeks ago, they lock both the wheel and the swivel as did the 10 year old ones they replaced. Bloody good value at around a fiver each - I have never found anywhere that sells them for anywhere near as cheap.

Hi Mark, my ones are a lot smaller - didn't measure them, but now you have got me thinking if I did get these from axminster, as they definitely don't lock the swivel ... I need a few items to get me over the free shipping threshold of axi, so I may just add a few

oops. Looks like Axminste4 wins my money once again. er Sorry Rutlands..

ByronBlack":3v2olj47 said:
wizer":3v2olj47 said:
oops. Looks like Axminster wins my money once again. er Sorry Rutlands..

haha, I bet you're gutted :)

I get they have a picture of my avatar on their office wall with darts in it :lol: :roll:

wizer":fn3vws4f said:
ByronBlack":fn3vws4f said:
wizer":fn3vws4f said:
oops. Looks like Axminster wins my money once again. er Sorry Rutlands..

haha, I bet you're gutted :)

I get they have a picture of my avatar on their office wall with darts in it :lol: :roll:

Going by that, they'd have to have an entire rogues gallery of UKworkshop members, I wonder just how much money they have lost due their bad rep on here (and rightly deserved imo).

I'm always open to try them if they have something I need that is cost effective. I know I get the most association with Rutlands bashing, but the quality of service I have received from them has been varied. Sometimes very good sometimes very bad. I'd hope that they are improving their service, they'd quite honestly be fools not too. As time goes on, more and more woodworkers are hitting the net and therefore, finding these forums.

I've used a few of the toolstation 100mm ones recently. They do lock swivel and wheel rotation when the brake is on.

Oh and the quality is pretty good too. + free delivery over £10 of course :)

edit this one - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hardwar ... 036/p31614

57087.jpg

Robert, I have those very same wheels on my TS from ToolStation and they swivel does not lock?

Skinee, very good point about the weight, it did pop into my mind earlier. I might give them a try. Unless Rutlands want to send their favourite customer a set to try? :lol:

Just been out to double check and they do lock the swivel. Well they attempt to :) . The way it does it means that it can be overcome by a little force. The brake on the wheel is positive though.

I mistyped wheel and my spell checker suggested it should be whelk... was quite tempted to accept it :)

skinee":28gnbnnt said:
wizer i think you should check the spec. and reconsider,the rutlands wheels are quoted as accepting loads of up to 140kg each(560kg per set of four),they also have polyurethane tyres whilst the 100mm axminster wheels only bear70kg(280kg per four) and only have rubber tyres,your p/t may weigh less than 280kg but as the price difference is less than £9 i think the heavier duty rutlands castors would be more durable and a better choice.

It's not like I want to park a hippo on it.

I bought some smallish ones - used them for my assembly table. IIRC a set of 4 holds around 150kg and at <£10 per set very happy. They do ones holding far more - there 4" ones hold 600kg (per set) and come as 2 braked & 2 non for < £20 delivered.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/atlas.handling.u ... ksid=p3686

No connection with them - but I'd much rather give my business to anyone other than Rutlands - especially folk who understand Customer Service as opposed to oiks who think my sole purpose is to enrich their lifestyles.

Rutlands - I suppose it was inevitable someone was going to have a bit of a rant.

Back