Running Cat5e to workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to run 3 or 4 lengths of Cat5e to my new workshop, several for POE IP cameras to bring the signal back to the house, and a final one in case I decide to ever put a TV or computer type item in there that requires Internet connection.

It's about a 60m run, which I believe should be fine for signal length, and I have injectors for the IP cameras.

Can someone advise what type of cable I need? I don't want to bury it so I obviously need exterior grade, but there seems to be a price difference between different suppliers and brands. I'll need a 305m reel.

Do I need shielded to? I Was going to put it next to the 6mm SWA but have also read you need to keep 8inches away from electrical sources, sheilded or not.

Any one have any experience and could advise on brand and type etc?

Thanks.

I'd certainly want to keep it away from a mains run, especially at 60m. Shielded is more important at higher data rates (typically for gigabit connections), but given the potential for interference it might be no bad thing. Remember that you'll need shielded connectors and earthing at each end to make the shielding do anything.

I've used Comms Express before, and they have an external grade shielded CAT5E in a 305m drum. This stuff looks suitably over-engineered:

http://www.comms-express.com/products/u ... id-shield/

Keeping the gap is a must. Especially with you using potentially power hungry shop equipment.

If you buy from the UK, most cat5 cat5e cable is roughly the same. Just choose shielded or not. For a run that long, I'd go shielded.

Can't comment on price as it's bought for me.

Do you really need to cable this or could you go wireless? Lots of big offices are now embracing wireless in a very big way, rather than cabling everything, as hot desking, remote working and flexible working gets more popular. I have this year seen a firm of lawyers do this across about 200,000 square feet of steel, concrete and glass offices with a hell of a lot of staff and kit. Almost all of the phones, computers, cameras and so on are operating wirelessly and they reckon it is working well. For a domestic set up it might be worth experimenting as 60 m is not far if you can have a clear line of site between antenna.

If you do stick with cable can't you use just one [cat6?] and a network switch in the workshop to deal with the multiple cameras etc, or is that not possible with POE

Wires are best, after 60 meters you won't get much of a signal, the cable in the link looks good.
There is nothing to stop you putting a hub and power injectors in the workshop or a POE swtich.

Pete

Test your Cat5 (if you have some) over 60m, a big loop round the room will do. Then if you're happy with the setup stick it in conduit buried at the appropriate depth.

As it's a one off type job I'd put two lengths in the conduit or at least have it that I can pull another through sometime but at 60m I'd put a second in to start with.

Testing the set up first is the key.

monkeybiter":1455ftk2 said:
If you do stick with cable can't you use just one [cat6?] and a network switch in the workshop to deal with the multiple cameras etc, or is that not possible with POE

You could put the PoE injectors after the switch, or use a switch with PoE. Given the effort to run one cable, slinging in some spare runs is pretty simple...

Since nobody has mentioned this:

There are two generic types of CAT5 cables:solid core and stranded core. The latter is quite flexible and intended for patch cords and the like. The solid version is for installations.

Electrically it doesn't matter very much, but it does mechanically. Solid core wire is intended to work with "Krone blocks", which are the termination arrays you find in the green boxes on the pavement. They're insulation displacement connectors (IDC), meaning a metal scissors-like pair of blades cuts through the sleeving and makes a good contact with the copper core, as each wire is pushed down into place in the block (with a special tool).

Most faceplates and patch panels for CAT5 use IDC. They work fine with solid cored cables and the proper tool, but stranded core wire can be unreliable, as the connection isn't made as well (the strands get moved around and the blades don't bite well enough).

So make sure you get the sort for installations, not patch cords!

E.

Droogs":krtckdys said:
This is the cable type I used to procure when purchasing for infrastructure projects as SO3 G6 (IT PM) for the Army, and for projects at Google

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat5e-bulk ... wwodIFANGQ

There's about 30KM of it running through the jungle in Borneo, got it cheaper in bulk but not a bad price here

Now that's what I call a decent screen!

:)

I did something similar to this for our CEO to give him camera in his stables. One of the Donkeys was pregnant and his wife was making him get up every to hours to go and check on it! :)

I used a power line adapter to link the stable to the house and then ran cat5 with Poe. Worked brilliantly and saved running cable between the two.

I also use the power line adapters in my garage. The ones I use are also wireless access points so that when you go into the garage you have wifi. That combined with some Bluetooth speakers means my phone and iPad give me all the info and entertainment I need while I'm playing With wood. I use TP link adapters as I like them but there are plenty about. Much more reliable than wireless and a lot less hassle than running cables. 60m cable for Ethernet will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back