Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using my router on some MDF, just putting some very fine and small grooves about 6 inches long and have done 6 so far.
Found that I seem to be burning out the router bit what shall I do.
I have speed settings on the machine if that would help.

caretaker":2cqcf5is said:
I have been using my router on some MDF, just putting some very fine and small grooves about 6 inches long and have done 6 so far.
Found that I seem to be burning out the router bit what shall I do.
I have speed settings on the machine if that would help.

Cheap bits?

How small is small?

It is the first time I have used this router but the bit looks like it was new like the machine, past down from a relative.
Size of bit hum let me think, yes the size of your mouse cable, for the people with no mouse cable size 32 of an inch, thats old money.
I expect I was rushing it but the bad news is I am doing six more and for a friend.
I will try a higher speed as it was set on half and put another new bit in machine.
The grove is for a wire for lights in a dolls house.
Thanks for all the help.
Reg

You want a lower speed if your getting burn, or increase the feedrate.

Also a big factor when routing, especially grooves is that the dust and chips can't escape the channel and increases friction. So make sure you have a vac attached to the router.

Have a read:

http://www.dekalbsaw.com/bitburn.html

Lower speed bigger chips less dust less friction, less heat, less melted glue.

Or a couple of saw cuts and a small chisel, it is the Hand Tool section :wink:

Pete

What Chems and Pete said. I've done my share of routing, and in case of burn marks, those variables were often in consideration in aforementioned way.

However if you have been very unlucky, your piece of MDF may contain extra amount of mineral fillers. MDF was (is) quite notorious of being a greedy bit-eater.

Samu

I have now put in a new bit and upped the speed but went a bit slower in making the channel.
The out-come was fine just got to recover from the dust, now that was the practice bit now for the real thing, may wait till the weekend as I have work tomorrow.
Thanks all
Reg

Back