Router issue.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karfeef

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm after a little advice about routers if you would be so kind.

I've had a cheapo BandQ router for a couple of years that got used once for a specific purpose, which went badly mostly to my lack of knowledge on their use.

Now I'm getting into woodwork a bit more, I decided to dig out out and learn a bit about using them. I've just bought a router table to use with it.

On most bits, I have to raise bit in the collet a fair bit to be able to get the cutting edge all the way past the base plate. I can't do what is suggested, which is drop the bit all the way in and then raise something like 16th inch and tighten the bolt. If I do that, the cutting edge just about protrudes past the base plate at full plunge.

As the router table effectively has an extra layer of depth, using it is impossible (with that router anyway)

If I pull the bit out to almost at the end of the shank, I can just get the entire bit through the hole on the table, but surely this is not safe.

Am I missing something, or do I just need a better router that would provide more depth adjustment? I thought mine would do it as there is a fair bit of plunge depth, but like I said, it's no use if I insert the bit in the recommended way.

Cheers

H

Sent from my GT-I9300

+1 for a collet extension, BUT consider a better router too.

Can you give us a model no.?
Is it 1/4" 1/2" or metric size of collet?
How much plunge depth (movement) does it have?
Is it variable speed, with a decent range?

and how thick is the router table under the baseplate of the router? Cast metal ones tend to be rather thick.

If the router isn't suitable, accommodating it will limit you rather a lot. Better to keep it for handheld jobs, and get something more versatile for the table.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's only a b and q performance thing, variable speed, 1/4 inch collet. I've just taken the plunge spring out and it has given me a couple of mm extra, but really I would have expected more range past the base plate.

The table top is around 4mm cast aluminium. It's the aldi one.

Will check out the collet extension until I can afford a better router

H

Sent from my GT-I9300

I doubt that you will find a collet extension for a 1/4" router, I'm afraid. I use Peter Sefton's Xtreme Xtension. It's not cheap but it is superb. It requires a 1/2" router.

You can get longer router bits, BUT they are more vulnerable to breaking.

Under no circumstances should you have the router cutter nearly out of the collet just to get depth of cut! :) I'm afraid the truth is that you do not have the right tool for the job.

S

A 1/4" extension Collette is available, I have one. I just can't remember where I bought it at this moment in time :oops: - let me have a think about that. It was around 20 quid if that helps?

The issue with a 1/4" router in a table is that it will only be suitable for small scale work, which of course may be your preference anyway. The arbour bearing on your B&Q router may baulk at the extra weight and load placed on it by feeding stock into it.

Is it fair to state you are using the router bits purchased with the router? if so, they will be of poor quality, with minimal metal in the cutters....and probably shank. Depending on the work you intend to conduct it may be worth just buying extended length quality router bits. Try Wealdon, they may offer long shank bits?

Good luck

David

Thank you. I think it's probably time to get a decent router that can handle more than balsa wood :)

Anyone want to buy a guitar to finance it? :-D

Sent from my GT-I9300

I know this may not sound helpful but it is intended to be helpful.

I personally don't agree with the average shop selling routers, the machinery is sub standard/poorly made and the staff don't have a clue about how to use them or any safety issues that go with them. Routers are one of the most dangerous tools in the workshop, they can cause some serious damage if not used properly, if the bit is not placed on the k mark or above it the bit can come loose and fly out, if you dont know the right speeds the bit can break, if you use cheap bit they can break, if you use a bit meant for table use you can run into some major injuries, the list goes on. If you have been to college or time served with a carpenter/joiner and getting into routering, then its best if you look into courses, i think axminister do a course. Its all about safety.

Hi. Thanks for the reply, and I agree with the point on safety. After I first purchased a router, I admit I was one of those people that just threw a bit in turned it on and expected a perfect finish. Obviously, due to lack of skill and knowledge, things didn't go to plan, and I'm probably quite lucky i didn't lose a finger or 2. After a couple of years of it sitting in the box, I decided to try again, but I didn't even switch it on until i had done considerable research on general use and safety.

Hand held, I'm quite confident and understanding about rotation and feed direction had made a huge difference (the last time I used it, I tried to feed from the wrong side and consequently ruined the piece i was working on.

I was looking at the workshops run by axi and am quite interested in a couple, so will probably invest in them, clearly it'll be money well spent.

Looks like all my guitar equipment is destined for eBay, as quite frankly, I'm rubbish, even after 20 years playing :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9300

Def take on the course, or similar ones, even if you went to a local joinery shop and offered them some cash/beers for a hours lesson. Its scary that anyone can go buy a router, a large panel bit cutter and then go home wack it on full speed and put it into a piece of wood! wouldnt what to see the damage to man and wood!! well done for taking the safety advice, you'll last in this enjoyable world of wood.

Latest posts

Back