Router cutter burning mouldings, another way?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am have to cut about 100 small cavetto mouldings. They are 10mm wide and 7mm thick. All being done on a R/T.The cutter is burning the work in places as per the picture. It is a new Wealdon cutter and is spinning at 23000rpm.
I have had to make some featherboard extensions as the work is so small and also have to clamp it down very tight to avoid the work 'chattering' on the cutter. This makes feeding very difficult.
Any ideas as to a better way of doing this? I have looked for a sled but nothing seems to suit.
Many thanks
kitchen 2011 028.jpg
kitchen 2011 029.jpg

Attachments

• kitchen 2011 028.jpg
    kitchen 2011 028.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 86
  • kitchen 2011 029.jpg
    kitchen 2011 029.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 86
Its probably because due to your stiff feather boards your stopping and this is causing the burning. Try and get your set up so that the featherboards are helping not hindering, its quite dangerous if your having to force things through. You can also reduce the speed of the cutter to help.

Hi Chems,

Yes, it is not ideal forcing the work through, but if i loosen the clamping pieces off at all the work bounces on the cutter, ruining the profile.

I was under the impression that reducing the speed of the cutter increases the risk of burning, is this not correct?

If I cut the profiles on larger timber it solves the burning issue, but is then extremely difficult to cut the timber down to the required size without having a small fretsaw or 'toy' bandsaw. I cannot put it through the thicknesser as the profile sends it out of square.

Pond said:
If I cut the profiles on larger timber it solves the burning issue, but is then extremely difficult to cut the timber down to the required size without having a small fretsaw or 'toy' bandsaw. quote]

If cutting the profile from larger timber solves the problem, you could fix a smaller section to a larger piece of timber with double-sided tape and then remove it after cutting the profile. I've tried this and it works.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Faster feed is the answer but quite often difficult to achieve. can you attach the moulding to a large board to get rid of the feather boards and push the work through as fast as you like with a final light cut.
Good luck
Bob

Hi,

Moulding plane, you would have to be going some to get burning!!!

Pete

Latest posts

Back