Router Confusion - Another which router thread...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikash

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Need opinions on which router to buy. I've been using a cheapo £20 router for basic stuff for 5 years now and would like to invest in something decent/accurate. I'll be using it mostly for hand held work but I intend to buy/build a simple table for it sometime in the future.

Firstly I'm not sure whether to go for a 1/4" or 1/2" router (if I could still find the B&Q Triton offer this would all be moot). My hands are large and the larger router sizes don't put me off (but the costs do). I mostly cut birch ply/MDF.

I'm pretty much a beginner but don't want something that I will quickly outgrow if I start using it more. I'm planning a heavy duty workbench and doing my first Mortice cuts with it. Other then that I build a fair few speaker cabinets (only circle cutting, rebates and roundovers really) and would really like a router that is in several leagues above what I currently use i.e. one that has smooth plunge action, decent build quality, quick and accurate depth setting/measurements.

I'd like to spend <£100 but I'm flexible if it's worth spending more.

V

Exactly the same situation that I am in, I think really youve got to go for 1/2 inch with out a doubt as the 1/4 bits are rather size limited.

I narrowed my choices down to the Trend T11 or the Triton 2200W both retail for well over £100 first hand but it is possible to pick them up second hand a lot cheaper. Both are well set up for table use with micro adjustment and quick table release.

Hi Vikash,

I think if you are wanting it for handheld use, you should discount the Triton. It really is designed to be in a table, an is quite 'tippy' when upright.

I'll let others give you recommendations.

I agree with Slim discount the Triton for hand held use. If it is to be used in a table it really needs to be 1/2" and most of the large 1/2" routers can be used by hand also although they are heavy. Ideally you really want a 1/4" for hand held use and a 1/2" for the table but of course this is more costly. I would recommend the De Walt 625 personally which will do both but is not one of the lightweights. Also have a look at Makita, Freud, Hitachi, CMT and Trend as these all make pretty good 1/2" routers. Again the same names also apply for 1/4" routers but I would avoid the Trend T5 as it seems to be a bad copy of the Elu IMHO. HTH :wink:

Vikash,

If you want the Triton for hand held and occasional table use I would recommend the baby Triton, which is what I have set up.
You get all the Triton benefits with the smaller model just less grunt.

Harry.

I've never used it freehand as it's been in my router table since I bought it but for the money (£60) I would highly recommend this from Screwfix. It comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets and is powerful enough for table work.

Brian

I can't recommend the big Triton as you have said it will be mostly for hand held use and there are better routers out there for that (perhaps the smaller Triton would be a better bet)? That said, I love my big Triton in the table.

Ideally you may eventually want two - one for the table and one for hand held.

mailee":1husizmf said:
Again the same names also apply for 1/4" routers but I would avoid the Trend T5 as it seems to be a bad copy of the Elu IMHO

Oi!, I've got two Trend T5's (as well as an Elu MOF96 (not the 'E' which hadn't come out then)) and never had a moment's trouble with them.

So there.

If you're thinking of going for a cheap router table, you could be better off spending £30 on a mounting plate for the router and making yourself a simple table from MDF with a laminate top.

Sorry Mr Henderson but I also have two Elu 96s, A De Walt 615 and the Trend T5 along with many other routers and the Trend isn't in the same legue. I find that the Trend is much more notchy on the slide added to the fact that the baseplate isn't removable without tearing it off as it is bonded. The quality of build seems far lower than the Elu models or the DeWalt. I do still use mine but have it set up with a cutter and height adjuster just for my dovetail jig. JMHO you realise. Everyone to his own though. :wink:

mailee":1oi9g4hk said:
Sorry Mr Henderson but I also have two Elu 96s, A De Walt 615 and the Trend T5 along with many other routers and the Trend isn't in the same legue. I find that the Trend is much more notchy on the slide added to the fact that the baseplate isn't removable without tearing it off as it is bonded. The quality of build seems far lower than the Elu models or the DeWalt. I do still use mine but have it set up with a cutter and height adjuster just for my dovetail jig. JMHO you realise. Everyone to his own though. :wink:

Sounds like you need to take yours back. One of mine is used solely for plunging (I use it to cut precise 7mm holes for shelf pegs) and the action if smooth as silk.

I agree it's not as well made as an Elu, but I would defend the Trend against any of the Dewalts I've tried. We must all speak as we find, though.

It would be a good idea for the actual tool selected to be tried out because it would seem the odd bad one slips through on just about any make.

I think 1/4" is the way to go having just popped into the local B&Q to get a feel for them. The 1/2" dewalt (614 I think) was nice but I can imagine how awkward it would be for hand held use.

All the 1/4" on display felt inferior particularly in build quality (plastic depth stops on the Ryobi? :roll:) and depth stops/measure.

Now that I know a 1/4" is the way forward I guess I'll start researching the smaller Triton. Any other specific makes and models people can recommend?

Edit: Err the baby Triton is also 1/2"?

andycktm":2a7rzi4x said:
They will have to be small mortice joints with a quarter inch router.

I agree - if you want it for cutting mortices, I would go for a 1/2" model. You will be very limited in the length of cutters you can use with a 1/4" model. I use the DeWalt 625 and find it excellent for hand-held use.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Personally I don't find the weight of a large router a problem. Most large routers will also have a larger base plate than their smaller cousins and that helps to stabilise the machine when routing by hand. There is nothing a 1/4 router will do that a 1/2 won't do better!

Roy.

Another vote for the DeWalt 625, and remember you can stick a 1/4" cutter in a 1/2" router using a bush/collet reducer, but you cant stick a 1/2" cutter in a 1/4" router even with a big hammer :lol:
although I find you have more of a choice of cutters in the 1/2" size than the 1/4"..

It is worth looking at the small Triton even as a 1/2" router as it is a lot lighter than the big one. I personally would avoid the 1/4" even for hand held and just get a lighter/lower powered 1/2".

Digit":1i6e6v5z said:
There is nothing a 1/4 router will do that a 1/2 won't do better!

Roy.

I would have to disagree with that quote Roy. I find a hand held 1/4" router is invaluble for hand routing signs and couldn't see a 1/2" one doing that job as well. :wink:

Granted, but unless you are deeply into routing signs I think that in general terms my statement is correct.

Roy.

What about routing hinge recesses vertically in a door frame? I wouldn't want to do that with a big 1/2" router... I'd probably go for a mallet and chisel, yes! :wink:

Back