ROUTER BITS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi im looking to purchase a box of router bit as im new to a router can anyone advise me please there are so many on ebay
thank,s in advance
MOCK :?

I can recommend the Yonico Bits from the US which are on ebay. Very well made, very sharp and they do very reasonably priced small useful sets (such as roundovers, rebates, rail & stiles and plywood sized straight bits).

I have used Trend and Freud router cutters and both brands have been faultless.
I once bought a small cheap set of router cutters from Aldi and on first use the router bit shattered with debris flying off, luckily not in my direction!
I wasn't impressed.

+1 for Wealdens.
I would gues that you are likely to use straight, slot cutters, cove and round over bits the most so check out whether a selection of these would be better value that a huge set.
If you want to post what your likely projects are going to be, I'm sure members can be more specific as to recommendations.

Hi,

I have bought sets Freud straight bits and CMT bull nose, both have turned out to be superb.

Cheers

Steve

+1 for Wealden.

DON'T buy a cheap set, for two reasons:

1. The quality is almost always poor (or very poor). I have too many like that, some I have even thrown out unused, as the cutters weren't even balanced properly, never mind blunt. They will disappoint, you won't know why to start with (burning, poor cutting generally), you'll get very frustrated.
2. There are ALWAYS several you just won't ever use. They're usually the most complex ones to make, so your money really goes on the box and a few of the simpler ones (which were poor to start with, see (1) above). Seen like that they are actually poor value.

Trend are good too, but very expensive - you are supporting a big marketing operation that Wealden don't have.

Wealden's starter sets are stuff you WILL use, and excellent quality too. If you really need something that isn't in there, order it at the same time, to avoid extra postage. Your money goes on the cutters, not the other stuff that doesn't help your work.

E.

Both Freud and CMT are excellent, but at a price (I have both and use them).

I would go with Trend or Freud.
Some of the cheep sets are ok, but bee careful were you get them from. I got a screwfix set 10 or so years ago and it's still going strong.

Mock, if your router only takes 1/4 or 8mm I would strongly recommend that you go down the 8mm route as normally the cost is about the same and you get much more steel for your money with 8mm.

Oh and +1 for Wealdens.

Hi

I'm going to buck the trend a bit here:

If you know what you want to produce I'd go along with the advice above to buy good quality bits as you need them - I have a preference for Trend bits but I agree that Wealden and Freud bits are also excellent.

However, if you don't have any specific use in mind I'd be tempted to wait for a Rutlands 'deal' on something like these:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... ornado+tr4

I've heard good reports with regard to quality and I'm sure I've seen the set go for around £70. This option will give you a basic range of cutters which don't cost the earth and can be replaced if they wear out with better quality items - this way you know which cutters will need to be of better quality due to repeated use and only spend budget money on cutters which receive little use.

Regards Mick

I;m only just portering around with a router at the moment > Iv,e been looking at some videos kindly sent to me by a member on here . But to be honest they are way out of my league lol

Mock, PM sent.

Attachments

• img047.jpg
    img047.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 17
Back