Router bit set.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":itfqu1cs said:
The twelve piece trend set is a bargain, so what if you don't use all of the bits in the box, if you only use three of them you are still £ in, never had a problem with any trend router bits, they do need the cutting edge kept sharp, compared to Wealdon bits that seem to keep their edge for ever.

Mike

Do you think they maybe sell it as a bit of a loss leader?

I think I might try some inexpensive bits from banggood and use them for practise, they would also be good for chipboard and things that I have heard will wear out bits quickly.

I have never understood the inexpensive approach to a lump of metal spinning at 30,000 RPM.

Rorschach":2qjif64s said:
Graham Orm":2qjif64s said:
I have 10 year old sets with bit's that are untouched. Browse wealdens or Axminster and make up your own set of bit's you'll use. Maybe even double up on ones you know will get most wear, flush trimmers, straight cutters, round overs etc.

That was the thought I had but I have a budget of £25 (christmas present) and for that money I can either get a 12 bit trend set, or 2 cutters singly from trend or 1 cutter from wealdon.

For best value go for the set then. ;-)

MikeJhn":ubxcbqk0 said:
The twelve piece trend set is a bargain, so what if you don't use all of the bits in the box, if you only use three of them you are still £ in, never had a problem with any trend router bits, they do need the cutting edge kept sharp, compared to Wealdon bits that seem to keep their edge for ever.

Mike

Good point Mike. They are good kit and good value.

Well in the end I did a combo of both. The ebay price for the trend set was way below RRP from any other site including trend themselves to I took a punt on that. I also took a bit of time on aliexpress and order a few cutters there to try out. Since I am still learning I thought it would be good to have some basically disposable bits I could practise with.

Let's hope the disposable bits just blunt rather than disintegrate in use.

As PAC1 said "I have never understood the inexpensive approach to a lump of metal spinning at 30,000 RPM"

Mike

Well the cheap ones are essentially just the same as are being sold in the 12 bits for £12 sets that you see for sale everywhere, difference being I ordered them as single cutters for between £1-2 each.

If what you have bought are the Trend bits, then it should not be a problem with disintegrating in use, but I admit I have never seen Trend cutters at £1.00 or even £12.00 for a set of twelve, any chance of a link?

Mike

MikeJhn":2pz3vrhx said:
If what you have bought are the Trend bits, then it should not be a problem with disintegrating in use, but I admit I have never seen Trend cutters at £1.00 or even £12.00 for a set of twelve, any chance of a link?

Mike

The trend cutters were £24 for 12, I was referring to a few I bought from aliexpress to use as practise bits.

PAC1":3mtqy14u said:
I have never understood the inexpensive approach to a lump of metal spinning at 30,000 RPM.

Can't be said often enough.

Mike

Trend bit set arrived and they look really good and are very sharp and nicely made. Bargain for the price.
Do have a problem with the flush trim bit though so hoping I can get that replaced.

Haha sorry, I checked all the bits to make sure none were chipped and the flush trim bit looked a bit wonky, usre enough when checked against a straight edge one of the blades is set at an angle so it protrudes past the bearing at the top and then there is a gap at the bottom.

Nice. I had one from a set that came with a cheap 1/2" router: supposedly a V groover, but the carbide insert was about 1mm off centre. I forgot once and got as far as tightening the collet, but mercifully never started the motor. It _probably_ would have just shaken itself around a bit, but possibly not.

Now I just bin suspiciously blunt or odd bits when I find them again. It isn't worth taking the risk, IMHO.

By the way, I can't remember if you said your router is 1/2": if so, kitchen fitters' straight 1/2" cutters (for worktop jigs, etc.) are often good value. They're usually quite reasonably priced, and those from the better makes are often priced a lot lower than sizes either side. I've got Freud, Wealden and Axminster ones and all have been excellent. The Wealden one I have is very long, and got used as an improvised planer years ago, before I got a proper machine. It is still wickedly sharp though.

They're great for rebating, slotting/morticing -- all sorts really, and the other thing is that almost all straight cutters go blunt first on the ends. As worktop bits are long, there's usually a lot of sharp edge left, if you can contrive to make good use of it somehow. There is a good argument I guess for doing the first bit of a plunge cut with a brand new cutter, and switching to a more worn one for deep in the rebate or the mortice, where it can't be seen.

But then I come from the school of Never Throw Anything Away... :)

Talking of never throwing anything away, a year ago one of the Xenon's on my wife's 1 series developed an intermittent fault, after a lot of investigation I established it was the ballast, well now the Xenon on the other side of the car has developed a fault, guess what, I just found the receipt for the previous one, I can now establish the serial number and bar code of what I need, pays to not throw anything away, I got great satisfaction telling my wife that. :lol:

Mike

MikeJhn":36itmg6z said:
Where these bits covered in the normal protective wax?

Mike

No wax on them or anything.

Eric The Viking":36itmg6z said:
Nice. I had one from a set that came with a cheap 1/2" router: supposedly a V groover, but the carbide insert was about 1mm off centre. I forgot once and got as far as tightening the collet, but mercifully never started the motor. It _probably_ would have just shaken itself around a bit, but possibly not.

Now I just bin suspiciously blunt or odd bits when I find them again. It isn't worth taking the risk, IMHO.

By the way, I can't remember if you said your router is 1/2": if so, kitchen fitters' straight 1/2" cutters (for worktop jigs, etc.) are often good value. They're usually quite reasonably priced, and those from the better makes are often priced a lot lower than sizes either side. I've got Freud, Wealden and Axminster ones and all have been excellent. The Wealden one I have is very long, and got used as an improvised planer years ago, before I got a proper machine. It is still wickedly sharp though.

They're great for rebating, slotting/morticing -- all sorts really, and the other thing is that almost all straight cutters go blunt first on the ends. As worktop bits are long, there's usually a lot of sharp edge left, if you can contrive to make good use of it somehow. There is a good argument I guess for doing the first bit of a plunge cut with a brand new cutter, and switching to a more worn one for deep in the rebate or the mortice, where it can't be seen.

But then I come from the school of Never Throw Anything Away... :)

Just a 1/4" router. I have ordered a long bit though in order to make a up a little jointer setup. I know it's a big cut to take but I think if the cut is kept super shallow it might just work.

All the trend bits I have purchased came with a was coating on the cutters, are you sure these are genuine Trend bits? Perhaps a photo of the box they came in will help.

Ahh just realised we are talking 1/4" shank, I don't have any of those, so maybe supplied differently.

Mike

According to Trend who I spoke to about an e-bay offer on their 1/2" sets, all Trend 1/2" router bits leave the manufacture dipped to give cutter protection, if they arrive without this protective layer someone has taken it off for some reason, maybe photographs on an e-bay listing, who knows.

Mike

Back