Round dogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recky33

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm just starting to make a new bench for hand tool usage and need some round dogs, The Veritas dogs and pups seem popular on here, anyone got any idea which I should be using, my bench is 60 mm thick softwood, don't know if thats anywhere near standard if in fact there is a "standard" with benches, the bench dogs are 4-3/8" long for standard thickness benches and the pups are 2-3/8" long for bench tops up to 2" thick, Do you think the Dogs will be ok or should I go for the Pups

Allan

At times bench dogs get accidentally pushed below the surface of the bench. Provided you have the access to get your hand underneath to push them back, the pups will be fine. A restricted access might mean it's easier to push the longer dogs back into position.

I have both for my present bench and as far as their relative merits in use are concerned, there is little difference - I tend to pick up a pup first in preference to the longer dogs because they are just a bit quicker and easier to position as a planing stop for example.

Cheers Chris

My main concern was if the spring on the longer dogs was to far down that they would fall out if pushed down below the surface with the bench only being 60mm thick, Iv never used or seen a dog close up before so all very new to me

Allan

If you're worried about round dogs dropping through the holes and you have the facilities to make your own dowel rod, you could consider making a batch of them like this, with square tops on them:

3717447944_e8d7025cb1_z.jpg

I got the idea from Scott Landis' excellent book. If you don't have a lathe or router table, you could certainly buy a length of 19mm or ¾in hardwood dowel from somewhere.

By the way, all the Veritas fittings are designed to fit in ¾in holes. Dogs would be okay in a 20mm hole but, you may find that some of their clamps and other accessories are too loose a fit - in which case, I'd advise you to purchase a 19mm drill bit for this.

Back