Rough as ten!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
But learnt a few what not to dos along the way. Mainly, make lines either 1 blade thick or at least 3 or 4 thick, cos when you try to cut two right next to each other the blade drifts in and out and makes a smooth line nigh on impossible. That along with my inexperience, over-eagerness and lack of patience doesn't make for smooth lines. :oops:
Also don't make any lines narrower than your smallest drill bit #-o

That said, I can recognise it as a beetle and none of the bits fell out, so RESULT :)

I've attached some nice big photos so you can see just how rough it is, just to show other noobs its not just the talented that post pics and if you stand back far enough everything looks good :D

(Image found on google and I just erased line ends etc to create the 'islands' to cut. (using GIMP) )

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,362
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,362
Looks fine, and it's obviously a Beetle, so job's a good un.

When I've had to cut very thin lines but a bit thicker than a blade width, I cut one line then change the blade to a spiral and follow the line again.

Looks good to me.

You're absolutely right about standing back and looking alright from a distance.

I know it sounds like a cliche but it is true and relevant. Who walks up to a picture and looks closely at the detail? And, if you do then you will also spot lots of tiny "errors"

Lessons learnt too though and thanks for passing those on.

I must try an remember the tip from Naznomad about using a spiral blade.

Regards

Phill

Wel, I like it, and to quote you quoting someone else, "As long as a person derives huge enjoyment from what he creates, and in the process of doing so, occasionally pleases a friend, relative or indeed 'the missus' with his efforts - then those efforts are to be considered a resounding success." - Jenx, forum member

And it's good enough for me to easily find the original image so I can have a go. I used to enjoy doing line images of old cars.

JanetsBears":1n2szntu said:
Looks good to me, even though I dislike beetles with a passion. Got a pattern for a Mini? :)

Chris

Not yet.

Find a '(Original) Mini Line Drawing' on line, and then blob the corners off with paint/ Gimp/ editor of choice

The beetle started with https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/418412621602465149/

06b246f936175f5ebdf40262110ad0c8.jpg

which became

beetle.jpg

all pure guesswork on my part, there's probably better ways of doing it, but if you've got a spare hour or two simple enough :)

Attachments

• beetle.jpg
    beetle.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,232
  • 06b246f936175f5ebdf40262110ad0c8.jpg
    06b246f936175f5ebdf40262110ad0c8.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,232

Attachments

• il_570xN.741643902_nadl.jpg
    il_570xN.741643902_nadl.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,128
and after two hours of cutting (doesn't time just fly ) ...

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

I think the front wing and what I assume to be front spots area could do with a little amending on the pattern but its definitely a Mini.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,109
Maybe it's Paddy Hopkirks' Mini after the mountain stage of the Monte Carlo Rally and the front wing has taken a bit of a battering. But it's definitely still a Mini. Well done Nev. =D> Keep 'em coming.

Charley

Latest posts

Back