rotten back door - best way to repair??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just done a google for 2xg doors and homebase do one that comes with toughened glass for 49.99.Not sure what the quality will be like though.

Howdens do a redwood without glass for 57 and a hemlock one for 78.Suspect these will be better quality then the homebase one.

I made some doors for my last work shop ...

I cut a sheet of good exterior ply to door size

then laminated 3/4" pine for the styles and rails- both sides

then cut out the holes fo the glazed parts (thinking abut how you leave a bit to glaze to) then added the mouldings to the 'panels' - worked a treat and cheap too !

thinking about it - I oversized the style and rails one side to give me something to glaze to !

skipdiver":38tcdhie said:
Just done a google for 2xg doors and homebase do one that comes with toughened glass for 49.99.Not sure what the quality will be like though.

Howdens do a redwood without glass for 57 and a hemlock one for 78.Suspect these will be better quality then the homebase one.

Thanks Steve- typically I have a Focus 1/2 a mile away but looked in the B&Q near where I work as its a bigger store. I'll have look in focus tomorrow and the local builders merchants this weekend.
I checked the howden site and its trade only so not for me , but it will serve as a good indicator for the local builders merchants.

I have to step back to reality though and work out whether to patch for this year or not (bit like buying new tools - you need a screwdriver but end up convincing yourself to by the full cordless kit that happens to include one!).

This thread has had far more responses than I hoped, and will provide some good ideas for anyone searching in the future. I like Tusses method as well for a workshop door.

on the topic of single glazed panel v a double glazed panel i'm surprised that with all the insulation standards around its still possible and legal to fit a half single glazed door- a quot form one of the web pages indicates you cna't for anew fit but just replacement - complies with Part L Building Regulations for refurbishments and like for like replacements, and is a good choice for busy entrances like, back doors, utility rooms and kitchens.

Anyone have any comparative figures for a 2xg single gazed v 2xg double glazed door? I know our kitchen feels cold near that glass in the winter.

Well I finally repaired the door using ronseal wet rot wood hardener and ronseal wood filler. Both excellent products and a total cost of less than £16.

By the time I had reached sound wood the damaged area was twice the size of the original photo.

Finished item:

2682173177_554a9c3ef9.jpg

Back