Rotary tool... Dremel or something else?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to create some sort of placeholder to hold 3-4 batteries, and would like to cut accurate oval-shaped holes in fairly thick sections of wood.

My current cheapo jigsaw isn't deep enough to go all the way through the wood I was using (55mm) , and I don't yet have any circular hole cutting drill bits (on order).
(Also, the jigsaw didn't give good line-of-sight, but perhaps this was user error, and I just need to get better at using it)

I have thought about cutting the hole in a much thinner piece of wood that the battery could slot in to, and then rest on the thicker piece of wood, so this is an option.

I'm thinking a holecutting drill bit, with a Dremel-type tool to shape it out?

I have a multitool, but don't think this would give me the precision required, but perhaps I just need thinnner cutting blades.

Can anyone recommend a way of doing this with basic equipment? Is a Dremel worth buying, or are there cheaper alternatives for wood cutting? (there's a few on Amazon around £50).

Thanks!

I'm trying to create some sort of placeholder to hold 3-4 batteries, and would like to cut accurate oval-shaped holes in fairly thick sections of wood.

Instead of struggling with oval shaped holes - consider a Battery Holder.

Below is a picture of what I used for the exact purpose you described
- I bought mine on eBay for £2.29
- other configurations are available (flat/one-level or different number of batteries)

In addition to the Battery Holder you will need a chisel and hammer, no other fancy tools required, although a forstner bit and a drill may help to remove the bulk of wood initially.

1713431456260.png

I’m a bit slow this morning so struggling to visualise what you’re trying to achieve. So oval holes 55mm deep - how many? . The best I can come up with is wait for your hole saws to arrive-what type are they?? I’d personally be using a good quality Forstner bit , make a single cut about 10-15mm deep then elongate the hole from each side- about the same 10-15 mm and repeat until you have gone all the way to 55mm -easy on a drill press .. next option would a router and template and appropriate guide bush ..

I could happily look at making them on my CNC, but like Bingy Man I am having a bit of a visual block (I think its the bright sun light and being in the middle of making 50 oak signs
Drop me a PM if you are interested

Cheers

With your limited tools I would suggest cutting your wood down the middle and making two semi circles with your jig saw and a rasp, then glueing them back together to form your oval.

I’m a bit slow this morning so struggling to visualise what you’re trying to achieve. So oval holes 55mm deep - how many? . The best I can come up with is wait for your hole saws to arrive-what type are they?? I’d personally be using a good quality Forstner bit , make a single cut about 10-15mm deep then elongate the hole from each side- about the same 10-15 mm and repeat until you have gone all the way to 55mm -easy on a drill press .. next option would a router and template and appropriate guide bush ..

Perhaps a diagram of what you want to achieve would help?
Also what size batteries are you using and why an oval hole?

I figured I wasn't explaing this very well!

So, I have a few Parkside tools, and I was trying to work out a visually pleasing way of storing these as they all have the same profile where the battery fits.

I imagined some sort of 'dock' where I could store either the batteries or the tools themselves.
The mulitool in the pic looks a bit different, but the profile is exactly the same as the drill.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 20.26.14.png

I figured I wasn't explaing this very well!

So, I have a few Parkside tools, and I was trying to work out a visually pleasing way of storing these as they all have the same profile where the battery fits.

I imagined some sort of 'dock' where I could store either the batteries or the tools themselves.
The mulitool in the pic looks a bit different, but the profile is exactly the same as the drill.

View attachment 179709
I expect a simple round hole would work as well as a shaped hole and would be considerably quicker to do and achieve the same result.

Instead of struggling with oval shaped holes - consider a Battery Holder.

Below is a picture of what I used for the exact purpose you described
- I bought mine on eBay for £2.29
- other configurations are available (flat/one-level or different number of batteries)

In addition to the Battery Holder you will need a chisel and hammer, no other fancy tools required, although a forstner bit and a drill may help to remove the bulk of wood initially.

View attachment 179659

Exactly what I did for 2xAA batteries powering this lamp except I have a router so I hogged out the waste with a forstner bit, opened out to the correct size with the router then squared the corners with a chisel.
Sorry haven’t got any pictures of the bottom.

Edit: just seen your second post so I see this isn’t really relevant now 🤦🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_7117.jpeg
    IMG_7117.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
How about your oval holes in two pieces of say 10mm thick wood and then space them so they are 55mm apart, fixed to a backing piece? In other words a U shaped affair with the holes in the uprights? Does that make any sense?

Why not simply put 'em all in a drawer under workbench, providing there's room, of course - that's what I have done. Batteries & charger in one, tools in another.
Regarding an actual 240v Dremel, they don't like 'heavy' work. Mine burnt out just cutting out a circle in 4 mm MDF - replaced by Bosch, then sold.

Latest posts

Back