Right overhang vs. end vise hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayuce

Established Member
Reaction score
As everyone on planning a workbench, i'm almost at the point of paralysis by analysis. A simple question, regarding workbench will be used just for small medium stuff like boxes, toys, blanket chests, perhaps some chairs etc. no kitchen cabinets, no big furnitures like beds wardrobes.What defines the minimum right (and left) overhang of workbench, just end vise hardware space requirements ?

Second question , i'm tend to build a wagon vise with no obvious reason. Twin screw, cast iron record type and L type tail vise out of scope. Either wooden jaw front vise or wagon vise is an option. What is the pros and cons as end vise ?

ayuce":ronvrh0o said:
Either wooden jaw front vise or wagon vise is an option. What is the pros and cons as end vise ?

I fitted a Maguire wagon vice. Looks beautiful, operates superbly...but I hardly ever use it.

For planing I don't like the big open gap that the workpiece has to bridge because of the risk of the workpiece flexing, so I always end up planing to a bench stop. If I was building a bench again (and I will be later this year) I'd either use a Record Vice as an end vice, fitted with two dogs to hold round workpieces, or use one of the Veritas tail vices that sit outboard of the main bench.

The biggest successes of the bench I built were,

1. It's much taller than normal, and as I use machinery for most of the heavy work the bench is more for joint making than dimensioning timber, so tall benches = no sore backs.

2. It's got an easily removable central tool tray as per David Charlesworth's designs, so it can take big F-Cramps from behind which solves most tricky work holding problems (like shooting veneers for example).

Space at the ends is great but I've managed for years with almost none. You do need a space beyond your bench stop which is longer than your longest plane. Anything extra is a bonus. If you don't have space to the right you can't put a long piece on the bench and handsaw it to length but there are obvious ways round that.

AndyT":1zewpkpo said:
Space at the ends is great but I've managed for years with almost none. You do need a space beyond your bench stop which is longer than your longest plane. Anything extra is a bonus. If you don't have space to the right you can't put a long piece on the bench and handsaw it to length but there are obvious ways round that.

Actually i'm trying to minimize right overhang, for the sake of stability of a short workbench. I'm about to find a solution for custom wagon vise works with a short overhang ( still considering if single screw wooden jaw vise would ve better ). Just wanted to ask if overhang usefull for something. Thanks to all for answers.

Sorry I read this too quickly and answered a different question!

Back