Rich's timber.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got round to turning some timber that Rich Burrows gave Chas meself last year after visiting his workshop in Gloucester.Thank you Rich.
We weren't sure what the wood was at the time.Either Sycamore or Maple :?:
After seeing Chas's bowls he turned from the wood i decided to core the middle out the two blanks i had as it was such nice figuring.
There are nice little patches of burr on all four bowls.
The bowl saver cut the middles out easily.
I would say the wood is Sycamore,just by the smell of it,though i haven't turned Maple before.
Finished sizes are 250dia x 90mm high.
180mm x 50mm.Finished with Food safe oil which darkend the wood nicely i think.

Sycamorebowls.jpg

Sycamorebowls2.jpg

Sycamorebowls1.jpg

Sycamorebowls3.jpg

Comments welcome. :D

Very finely done Paul, perfect shape for me and lovely figuring.

I particularly like the small one.

=D> =D> =D>

Dave

There's something about the Rich Burrow, what\who does he know that we dont? He gets the most beautiful timber. Jealous? Moi? Yep!

You've done them proud Paul. Pics are good too.

Edit: Looks very dark to be either Syc or Maple ? But what do I know ;) I take it they were dry? Good to hear the bowl saver coped well. That's still high on my list.

Lovely bowls there Paul and smashing colouring. Just a question - did you use Cole jaws to hold the bowls to turn the tenons off or do they have a recess?
Cheers
Steve

Thank you for the comments. :D
Tom.The food safe oil made the lighter parts of the wood go darker.
Glad you like em Rich.I think they were waiting for :D

Gasmansteve wrote
did you use Cole jaws to hold the bowls to turn the tenons off or do they have a recess?
Yes Steve,i used my home made cole jaws to cut off and then sand the tenons,which i left to do all at the end,save taking the jaws off my chuck.
I will put a piccy on tomorrow showing the bases.

Yes Paul, rich coloured wood, think it is sycamore and not maple, turned sycamore as well as maple several times. The treatment you gave on the bowls gives a more darken radiation than the natural colour.
A couple of very nice and more important very useful bowls.
Ad

Lovely timber Paul the burring adds to the looks greatly 8) I like the smaller bowl a lot, The bigger one is a little wide in the base for me but I guess you were going for practical stability and maximising what you could get from the wood. All in all nice work :D

JT

Saw these over on WOW Paul,

Very nice, Looks like you have the coring skills in the bag !

Thank you for the comments :D

As promised a piccy of one of the bases,which are all more or less the same.Not completely flat as they have a slight concave to them.

bowlbase.jpg

loz":26yvbqfb said:

!
????
Hi Loz whats WOW please?.

Very nice Paul. I`ve a nice piece of Tulipwood crying out to be shaped like that :lol: . (Been told that Tulipwood is Poplar which I didn`t know :? )
Steve

Hi Paul,

That's some cracking wood you've got there!!! I'd go along with Sycamore, I've had some big stuff with those kind of orangey streaks in. Loveley burry bits too!!

The finish has come up nicely, just the right amount of satin sheen for me. If the wall thickness is even all around then I'm impressed. My only slight critisim would be that I'd prefer a slightly smaller base on the larger one but that is purely asthetic and if it's being used as a salad bowl then it will be nice and stable so probably best as it is!!

Glad you're getting on with the bowl saver, they're a great bit of kit for bigger lumps of wood like this!

Cheers

Richard

Not quite true poplar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron

There are lots of them along the Canal du Midi close to our place and some of them have had to be felled. We were walking our dog by the canal early last year, 2009, and met a couple of guys doing the felling. After a chat they dropped several lumps in the back of our car on their way to the famous French lunch and they are sat waiting to be used. I was keepng some in my workshop until I found a couple of bloody great long horn beetles that had come out of a couple of the logs. The body is about 2 inches long!

Longhornbeetle.jpg

Those logs are now outside, but I have since found that the beetles would not have done harm to my other wood, to dry for them!

Below is a photo of the lovely flowers that give the tree its common name and the very odd looking seed pod below that. We are just waiting for the flowers to appear now.

Tuliptreeflower1.jpg

Tuliptreeseedpod.jpg

gasmansteve":1wfdug6x said:
loz":1wfdug6x said:

!
????
Hi Loz whats WOW please?.

It's a sort of forum but it is for displaying your work. Inhabited by some incredible turners from around the world. Really fantastic stuff. Good for critique and inspiration. You need to be invited to join but any of us can do that if you were interested

Pete

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy S**t John!! You get some big ass wood worm down there in France!!!!

Longhornbeetle.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Richard

Richard Findley wrote
If the wall thickness is even all around then I'm impressed. My only slight critisim would be that I'd prefer a slightly smaller base on the larger one but that is purely asthetic and if it's being used as a salad bowl then it will be nice and stable so probably best as it is!!
Glad you like the bowls Richard.
The wall thickness is even all round as far as ican tell i'm glad to say,and the larger ones will be used as salad/fruit bowls,hence the larger bases.

Back