Restoring a wooden handplane - some questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swagman":1i4t7t1c said:
The better quality Goldenberg wooden planes were made from Cormier wood.

User made planes (like the OP's) tend to use a much wider range of timber than factory ones.

BugBear

swagman":1x8geihi said:
The better quality Goldenberg wooden planes were made from Cormier wood.

http://jjdoreau.fr/index_en.php?url=ess ... tri=nom_fr

Stewie;

Interesting grain orientation on that one. Probably not similar to beech (where the exposed quartered side is much less durable than the flatsawn face).

Looks like nice wood, though - like a fruitwood (and unless I have the wrong thing, wikipedia confirms that).

Sheffield Tony":20kxipra said:
Some info about Goldenberg here:

http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/herstel ... berg.phtml

If you can read German it may help you more than it does me !

Not perfect but a lot better than my forgotten schoolboy German.

https://www.bing.com/translator/

Simply copy a big chunk of text and paste.

Goldenberg, Dorlisheim/France
Company history

Jean Guillaume (Johann Wilhelm) Goldenberg (7.12.1778-18.2.1858), born in Bliedingshausen near Remscheid, came for political reasons to Bärenthal (Lorraine/France). He directed the ironworks, which had bought in 1818 (see also under Coulaux) Jacques Coulaux in 1826 as a Director. He had not only great success in the expansion of this work and the improvement in the production of steel, but is made worthy, also to the health of the inhabitants by dry, he put the local marshes and so the Foundation withdrew the mosquitoes, which spread a dangerous disease at that time.

I come late to this so first Thanks have to go to Wolfgang Jordan for his Herculaneum task of documenting the the tool makers from Europe.
The firm Goldenberg ? Well is it French or is it German? I don't want to get to deep in history or politics but the area known as Lorraine in French or Alsace in German is the same place.
So as Mr P says Jean Guillaume (French) or Johan Wilhelm (German) born in Remscheid Germany moved to Bärenthal to takeover the running of a steel works ( by the by Bäranthal in German means the Vally of the bears, maybe there was just three of them). The political reasons for moving there maybe that at that time it belonged to Germany.

Any way it is his son Gustav Paul Fredrich Albert Goldenberg (also born in Remschied Germany) that started the tool making firm Goldenbergg in dorleshiem and Molsheim. Gustav was a time served small arms maker and his interest lay mainly in metal work. the firm was well known for making Files, rasps, riffles, Plane Irons and chisels and won awards for thier saws.

In the 1970s a contract of cooperation was signed with the firm Peogeot Freres, not the same as being taken over and between them they made the firm SICFO this is the firm that Stanly England bought in 1986. By the way the firm Peogeot the car makers are not the same firm as the tool makers they car makers originally broke away from the tool makers to make bicycles.

If you scroll down the page that both Tony and Andy gave links to you come to 7 trade marks used by Goldenberg top quality was the eye then 2nd was the griffen and 3rd was the swan. the 7th trade mark is a key if you look at the top of it, it has a strange resemblance to the crowns that Bugbear put up ?

Scroll further down and you come to three columns of trade marks the first is for files and rasps, the 2nd for plane irons and chisels and the 3rd for saws.

Strange in the 3rd column at the bottom it looks like a fly but it says L`abeille which is a dragon fly and the German word for the bubble in a spirit level.

Scroll further down and you see what looks like stamps but where probably the wrappers on the tools some in French and some in German.

Just a note because of the troubles in the area a lot of people left the area and emigrated to America and settled in Pennsylvania an area with a strong German tradition but later moved down by the Mississippi a area with a tradition as a French speaking part of America. the area was known in America as the German coast, sometimes there is nothing stranger than fact.

I have worked with men from the Lorraine area and I can not speak for every one of them but they told me that while they had French passports their harts where German.

Hi All ---- The shaping on this plane seems to follow the Dutch tradition of decorative scrolls at the top of the escapment usually with chip carving often with dates and initials. I have one which was sold to me as Dutch plane and this has similar shapes in the escapment. Will try and post some photos tomorrow.

Regards Arnold

Hi All -- As promised some photos of my Dutch plane

The plane unfortuatley is only a decorative item because I dont think the wedge is original to the plane as it does not fit well and is the wrong width. The one side cheek is also broken.

Regards ----Arnold

Latest posts

Back