Resawing Small Objects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajayre

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a piece of wood that is 50mm x 50mm x 10mm. I would like to resaw it on my bandsaw so I have two parts 50mm x 50mm by 3-4mm (exact thickness not important).

Anyone have any pointers to images of jigs that will allow me to do this safely? I guess some kind of vertical clamp running in the mitre slot?

Thanks!

Glue it to a larger piece of trued up wood, either with PVA and a paper layer between to aid removal of secured sliver or a dab of hot melt glue.

Make sure you break the join on the end grain side/end, doing so on the side grain risks cracking the sliver along the grain.

Notch out a piece of 4"x 2", sit the block in and set the saw to the centre line, fix a piece of ply to the base, otherwise the thin pieces will easily jam between the mouth piece and saw blade with possible dire consequences.
Regards Rodders

i would use a handsaw, but if using a bandsaw, i would just use a pair of push sticks. 1 to keep it against the fence and one to push it along. you will need a zero clearance insert too.

marcros":29702qhd said:
i would use a handsaw, but if using a bandsaw, i would just use a pair of push sticks. 1 to keep it against the fence and one to push it along. you will need a zero clearance insert too.

+1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I "borrowed" my wife's glue gun from her craft area. :D Glue gunned it to a scrap piece of plywood - worked a treat!

Wonder if these sort of clamps would help to keep material verticle and safe from fingers. I have used these on the bandsaw with very small bits vertically as the blocks keep the work completly stable.

Wood Clamps.jpg

Attachments

• Wood Clamps.jpg
    Wood Clamps.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,096

Latest posts

Back