Replacement blade for Axminster ts200

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalejones

Established Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's favourite? What is the blade size? Im thinking of going for a freud blade as I've heard good things, it will be used for ripping down ply wood, thanks

Dalejones":1sa6bc04 said:
What's everyone's favourite? What is the blade size? Im thinking of going for a freud blade as I've heard good things, it will be used for ripping down ply wood, thanks

Hello,

You do realise that when you say you are ripping down ply, you actually use a crosscut blade, as it is not actually a ripping cut, even when going with the grain as it appears on the top surface. Just sayin', sorry if you already know :D

Mike.

Edit: there is nothing stopping you using a rip blade for this, but cut quality will be poor and presumably you'll want to cut the ply to length too, when the tearout will be terrible.

I'm lookin for a good all rounder as il be ripping down lengths of 3x2 and using it to cut ply? Any suggestions

Dalejones":3s7d53ky said:
I'm lookin for a good all rounder as il be ripping down lengths of 3x2 and using it to cut ply? Any suggestions
Axminster sell a 205mm blade for the TS200-2, and they work fine for the original TS200 (at least, they do on my machine, that was one of the last of the originals). Options here: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-co ... s-ax826765

In this diameter, they list a 32 tooth as a general purpose. Personally I'd be wary of using that for both cuts in ply (much cleaner with a 48 or even 64 tooth blade) are thick rip cuts (better with 24 tooth).

If you do go off-brand, make absolutely sure that the kerf and plate thickness matches the original blades (or at least the blade kerf is wider than the riving knife thickness, and the plate is thinner than the riving knife) - otherwise you might be in for a "fun" time with the riving knife. By "fun" I mean extremely dangerous. The Axy site claims 3mm and 1.8mm respectively, but it would be worth confirming with calipers.

I have a Freud blade - the cut is excellent, but the kerf is quite thin. But then so is the standard TS200 riving knife...

... I tried it on my Kity 419 before I parted with it - it had a much thicker riving knife as the original blade was fairly fat kerf. The RK jammed in the Freud's kerf :-(.

Literally bought a replacement for my ts200 last week. Freud from Amazon, cuts well but i think it's not actually meant for a TS and instead a mitre saw or circular saw, oops

sploo":3tc66mx8 said:
Dalejones":3tc66mx8 said:
Axminster sell a 205mm blade for the TS200-2, and they work fine for the original TS200 (at least, they do on my machine, that was one of the last of the originals). Options here: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-co ... s-ax826765

In this diameter, they list a 32 tooth as a general purpose. Personally I'd be wary of using that for both cuts in ply (much cleaner with a 48 or even 64 tooth blade) are thick rip cuts (better with 24 tooth).

If you do go off-brand, make absolutely sure that the kerf and plate thickness matches the original blades (or at least the blade kerf is wider than the riving knife thickness, and the plate is thinner than the riving knife) - otherwise you might be in for a "fun" time with the riving knife. By "fun" I mean extremely dangerous. The Axy site claims 3mm and 1.8mm respectively, but it would be worth confirming with calipers.

How come it says 205mm but on the blade it states 250mm?

Dalejones":29c8ey1z said:

Hello,

TBH I would get 2 blades. An 8 inch saw with the sort of power the TS 200 has will need all the help if can get ripping 2 inch thick timber, so a 24 tooth rip is best. But that isn't optimal for plywood if you want anyways a good finish. It will splinter it to death cutting across the ply, too, which I expect you will do as well. A general purpose blade will slow you down on ripping solids and might struggle at thickish rips, the cut quality will be nothing to write home about in ply. There really isn't a good all rounder in TS blades, just a compromise which IMO does nothing well enough.

One exception is a combo made by Forrest, but I don't think made in 8 inch. The 10 inch they do costs as much as your tablesaw, though! Still not quite as good as dedicated blades.

Mike.

Yer I was thinking about getting 2 blades, a 24 tooth blade for ripping and a 48 tooth for cross cutting and plywood materials

Dalejones":3pazln9d said:
How come it says 205mm but on the blade it states 250mm?
Wrong photo I guess. I have bought those and they are the right size.

The Freud you linked looks ok (200mm dia, 30mm bore) but do check the kerf thickness.

Latest posts

Back